Ancient tyres :- bin them

Jeffds1360

175/70 on a 4.5 rim has well  ballooned sidewalls  ( great on 5" 5.5")    

on a 4 " rim   it would be unstable as far as the side walls go 

a 13/60 should have  3.5"D rims     thats  an awful thought  

the estates had 4.5J    according to the green WSM data 

you must check your wheels to get the right tyre width to suit 

Pete

ohhhh gawd... :) well I measured the width with my G clamp and ten turns out and ten turns in to slip over the Tyre  gave just under 5"

so I guess the inside rim will be 4.5J...... thank goodness :)

I fancy a bit of width and do not mind low profile.  I do understand that greater contact area looses some grip but I'm not going to race her.

Any suggestions please?

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

Colin    you've   got too much money to throw around 

orig tyres show as 5.20 x 13  which is around 135 x13   in new money 

eg  https://www.blackcircles.com/order/tyres/search?width=135&profile=80&rim=13

Pete

6p is all I can scrape together these days... I'm even using a token for Tesco trolleys, the shops won't accept it even though I tell them it's worth a pound at Tesco.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

I watched an interview with Brian May yesterday, turns out he uses a 6p as a plectrum! Sets my teeth on edge, :wacko:  I can never listen to Queen again now I know that!

Doug

That must ruin his strings, even if he could get a 6p coin... or does he tape three 2ps together? Of course he's been around for a while now so it could be a sixpence.

I use quite a light plectrum, one of the triangular versions, so that if it moves round during play you just go to the next point, but I need flex. Anything too heavy and inflexible is no use to me. It has to give. 

I t was a long interview, started with the guy who looks after all the kit. Before the gig he goes to the bank and get 100 5p coins, (which used to be 6p coins)  May has a dozen lodged on his guitar strap, he drops them all over the place, and yes ruins the strings and scratch plate. May talked about how he built his guitar with his dad, because he couldn't afford even a cheapo guitar. There are half a dozen copies of the original which he uses when strings break and open tuning. But Kit Guy has to get the original restrung and back to May as quick as possible.

Doug 

pleased you have found  its 4.5  a far  more suitable wheel 

tyres go max at 155  to 165 

i guessed at the figures but these sites can give some idea of how the side wall sit/balloons   (not the best site but as said not easy to find )

mintylamb did an excellent one but its died 

155 seems a good compromise . nice upright side wall 

https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/?wheel1=175-70-13X4.5ET30&wheel2=155-70-13X4.5ET30&fcl=50mm&wcl=30mm&scl=50mm&sr=0mm

Pete

Thanks Pete. Good site.

I'm still fancying 165. Possibly x70 but I'll need to check radii details when I get on the big screen. Fast wearing but sticky wanted. I'm de rusting the wheels,  bit silver on the edges then the alloy trims and chrome caps back on. Looks good with them. Cheers. 

Uniroyals and falken are pretty sticky, especially in the wet.

Toyo are pretty cheap and decent enough tyres.

Double check the wheel sizes, but best handling may well come from 155/80 13. Plan B, get the wheels banded, fit 145 tyres and go for the trendy "stretched" look.

herald standard wheels are 3.5j so realistically 155 max 145 would have been the original size if radials. You can check the width easily, there will be a code stamped on the "spoke" under the hub cap lp916 = 3.5j, lp875 = 4.5j fitted to estates, Vitesse and late mk3 spit, and lp923 (the hens teeth) 5.5j which were aftermarket

18 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

pleased you have found  its 4.5  a far  more suitable wheel 

tyres go max at 155  to 165 

i guessed at the figures but these sites can give some idea of how the side wall sit/balloons   (not the best site but as said not easy to find )

mintylamb did an excellent one but its died 

155 seems a good compromise . nice upright side wall 

https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/?wheel1=175-70-13X4.5ET30&wheel2=155-70-13X4.5ET30&fcl=50mm&wcl=30mm&scl=50mm&sr=0mm

Pete

Mintylamb.co.uk is still up for calculating theoretical speed in each gear

Paul 

16 hours ago, daverclasper said:

Was that the silver (coloured) tanner, half a shilling, six pennies?. Can't remember anymore.

Yep, the old sixpenny bit or tanner. Brian May is not the only guitarist to use them, but he actually had a quantity minted with his own head on them and gave them away at concerts to fans.