Ancient tyres :- bin them

Jeffds1360

17 hours ago, clive said:

For some reason teh wires for "our" cars seem to be designed for a moped. The ones on jags etc have massively more spokes etc etc so are much stronger. And more to clean. Still much prefer a proper non-bendy wheel.

There are different patterns for lacing wire wheels, and you can have a lot more spokes. They get fitted to the more powerful cars like E-types and race cars.

And if you get chromed ones, they take about 3 hours each to polish.

didnt key fobs have a spoke spanner key available  

go for a picnic and have a twiddle   

as for distortion there used to be films of wheels bending/distorting  on cornering forces 

can be quite a frightening viewing  most dont appreciate just what goes on between you and the tarmac

Pete

I recall, Pete, sittng next to Luffield at Silverstone at a meeting that included races for the old single seater cars with wires, and I'm convinced I could see them distort as they braked and turned!     The Pilots would, of course, be in modern suits and helmets, but no seat belts, so halfway out of the cockpit, frantic elbow twiddling.  They all stayed on the black stuff that day, thank goodness.

Steel wheels, or alloys, should be rigid enough not to distort, although your tyres definitely will:

Been phoning around for four tyres for my Vitesse, told them l wanted a name I reconized and tyres under a year old. Took the wheels in this morning on collection two where dated 19 and two 20, now promising me the job we be done as ordered and promised by Wednesday AM.

Understand you can legally be sold tyres up to five years old which is half their recommended life.

Regards

Paul

Some people cover 20 miles a year, some 20,000, some 200,000. That means that for some the same tyre might last ten years and for others, one, so for some drivers a five year old tyre may never see six years... I suppose by the time the tyre is actually made, stored, shipped and then ends up in the tyre depot it can be easily over a year old. 

10 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Some people cover 20 miles a year, some 20,000, some 200,000. That means that for some the same tyre might last ten years and for others, one, so for some drivers a five year old tyre may never see six years... I suppose by the time the tyre is actually made, stored, shipped and then ends up in the tyre depot it can be easily over a year old. 

I have bought tyres from Blackcirles and demon tweeks in the last year. All were well under a year old. 

Some places mention their tyres are under a certain age. Wish I could remember which places, and indeed, what I had for breakfast.

15 hours ago, 68vitesse said:

Been phoning around for four tyres for my Vitesse, told them l wanted a name I reconized and tyres under a year old. Took the wheels in this morning on collection two where dated 19 and two 20, now promising me the job we be done as ordered and promised by Wednesday AM.

Understand you can legally be sold tyres up to five years old which is half their recommended life.

Regards

Paul

I got caught out by that from a local tyre centre - didn't think to check the date codes when the Hankooks were fitted and only realised some months later they would have been 4 years old when they were new to me!

Gully

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/02/2021 at 11:27, Jeffds1360 said:

well I'm getting a deal with my local independent and him and his fitter say 165 70 will be fine on the 3.5J

So I'll hold them to it £165 is the price too.  Pity it's not the 70 :(

The ETRTO* Handbook is the Industry definitive guide. A current issue is about £150 but some kind sole had uploaded an older version on the internet. 

This shows that 3.5J is not an approved rim for a 165/70 tyre.

*ETRTO is European Tyre and Rim Technical Organisation.

1 hour ago, 1969Mk3Spitfire said:

The ETRTO* Handbook is the Industry definitive guide. A current issue is about £150 but some kind sole had uploaded an older version on the internet. 

This shows that 3.5J is not an approved rim for a 165/70 tyre.

*ETRTO is European Tyre and Rim Technical Organisation.

That agrees with the info from a link I posted back on 14/02. 155 max

On 07/03/2021 at 12:28, Badwolf said:

....and the date code on the wheelbarrow tyre is....???

Can not find one but it is marked not legal for highway use, so as I used it on the pavement and crossed a road can I expect the boys in blue round?.

Some decent cracks in the rubber, I think the inner tube is trying to escape.

Regards

Paul.

• Like 1