Best or recommended Dremel cutting discs?

Colin Lindsay

I've just gone through about 100 of these bought online and sent from China... it was like cutting with wafer biscuits. I just need to cut tack welds, about half an inch every three or four inches, and the space is confined so the angle grinder isn't the best.

It's for an original 2-speed Dremel, but their discs are almost £1 each so I need to make sure they don't explode into dust the minute you touch them to metal. Anyone got a good brand or source to recommend? I see there's a new speed-click version available, anyone tried those?

s-l1600-13.jpg.c3121637edc87d65dea5569a5542dabe.jpg

I've had my Dremel 30yrs and the old non fabric reinforced discs were a pain and dangerous shattering if twisted in the cut length. I' had 100's just threw them away recently no point in keeping them.

Nowadays I use the Dremel reinforced cutting discs a lot larger dia around 1.5in but I use the twist lock fitting mandrel a real boon, I get them from our big Bunnings Hardware stores at around $30 for 10 metal discs and if you don't use them on fast speed they last on fast they wear down quick.

My Dremel is the old style same look as the 2 speed now but has 5 speeds so I can easily regulate the speed, Also I use it  with the flexi cable lets me get closer to the work face & hold it steadier & easier.

I've just brought a lion battery Dremel clone Ozito very good 5 speed and handy, it came complete with a flexi shaft and cheap useless accessories, keep it on the bench with a Dremel sanding drum in with snap lock quick change fixture. Charges up quickly

I still love my Dremel tho!!

12 hours ago, Peter Truman said:

Nowadays I use the Dremel reinforced cutting discs a lot larger dia around 1.5in but I use the twist lock fitting mandrel a real boon, I get them from our big Bunnings Hardware stores at around $30 for 10 metal discs and if you don't use them on fast speed they last on fast they wear down quick.

I've managed to find a source of the proper Dremel metal discs ( plus the snap-on fitment) for less than half the eBay price so will give them a go. They look more like proper grinding discs than the communion-wafer thingies that fly off in forty directions as soon as they touch metal, or snap in half while you're still fitting them. The thinner discs that originally came with it lasted far longer than those cheap offerings you buy in the hundreds, but are harder to find.