Spit 1500/ GT6 MKIII heater box questions.

SpitFire6

Hi,

Refurbing a second hand heater box. Many questions to ask. I have a 1/3/4" & a 1 1/2" arriving in a few days.

I want to make one serviceable for swap with existing unknow demister ID.

First off, What are people using for replacement for the material fitted to the metal airflow "blade/flap". The material that makes a seal on the sweeping part?

Has anybody fitted a central lock motor to control the flap? Three positions possible.

Has anybody successfully installed a modern available blower motor? Replacing a 40 year old brushed motor is not a bad idea.

How do you bleed the air from the top of the matrix?

Cheers,

Iain.  

The Smart motor might fit the GT6 / spitfire heater box (it fits to the Herald box) but the problem is the fan which is too big and needs to be removed from the spindle. It's not easy to remove as they're a one-way push-fit, so easier on at the factory than off in the garage without damage, then a replacement fan of a suitable size has to be fitted and balanced otherwise the vibrations become very annoying. It can be done but it's not a straight swap.

0796EC96-A78D-4C0F-9794-4651812381CF_1_105_c.jpg.9a5fd6b7cea710e92108e27119a92c2d.jpg  D49DE5F2-139D-4FA2-9B89-7D8B51870F29_1_105_c.jpg.5b6a58f6c364a45742c0bf1a0cba6687.jpg  D922B04C-A225-48BA-899D-B00AEB092D6C_1_105_c.jpg.9e18afac9ecaf359373631eb6ae94b2b.jpg

• Like 1

I'm in the process of trying to update the fan in my Mk IV Spitfire - so far that's only gotten as far as buying a couple of cheap possibles off of eBay and deciding it's too cold in the garage (though a lot warmer today so might venture out this weekend).  Will try to post something if I make any progress...

• Like 2

Hi,

I have overdriven my fan with success. I cannot remember the electrical figures but were low compared to a 2002 206CC fan that pulls 20Amps @ 12V, around 1/4 Kilowatt!
I don't fancy drilling out the impeller as I can already increase the RPM of the OEM one. I'm after more flow with less RPM.

Has anybody fitted a central locking "solenoid" to control the flap? I only need floor well & demist. Off will be demist. A 20mm stroke seems enough.

I have thought about a bristle brush for the flap.

Cheers,

Iain.

Hi Guppy916,
I saw the foam & the price before I realised I do not need the precision cut piece.
I'm going to use a door brush draft excluder to sweep & seal. Is this what you used the Armaflex for?

My flaps only need to be in one of two positions. Demist & floor or Demist only. 

Was hoping to finalise it this week but Covid prevents me from leaving the house & going to work to retrieve the cover. LOL.