WASO FUEL CAP - Ebay item

Folks.

There is a NOS Waso fuel cap c/w 2x keys for sale on Ebay.

I have one of these fitted to my Vitesse and it fits perfectly to the neck and looks spot on.

Mentioned in case anybody is on the lookout for one.

Ebay ref: 331606168828

Good luck.

Regards.

Richard.

Hello Colin.

Nice to get one with 2x original keys though.

Usually they (the caps) are sold as used and come with only one key.

The WASO blank is an unusual design; although Jaguar / Rover did make a blank for some of their vehicles which is the same as the original WASO. In fact I think it was WASO that actually made them for J & R; that said they are getting quite rare now.

Regards.

Richard.

I’ll watch this one to see what it eventually raises. I have a cheaper, round locking version and even the price of these has seriously gone up; having said that, it’s still possible to find a real bargain sometimes. I think I’ve also one of the Waso versions in bits waiting some spare part or other... must go look now that I’ve remembered! 

Hello Peaks.

I can only speak as a Vitesse Mk2 owner.

The answer to your question is YES, although it was via special order. The part number is / was 603146 and looks as though it had a sliding key cover flap rather than the WASO lift up type.

The standard Triumph non-locking cap which was generally fitted had the part number 601761.

However, that said, an accessory petrol filler cap was also offered under part number 600482. It is not clear if this was a locking type or who the manufacturer was.

My belief, right or wrong, is that WASO offered a non-main dealer replacement for various vehicles of that period - of which Triumph would have been one of those makes catered for.

I'm sure somebody will fill in the relevant gaps but that will hopefully cover your question at least ??

Regards.

Richard.

Hi Richard,

Thanks for that. I was wondering as my Vitesse has this cap fitted. It fits fine, and appears to be fairly old, but I have never been sure whether it was correct for the car or not. 

post-27-0-40709200-1437685382_thumb.jpg

post-27-0-76106800-1437685479_thumb.jpg

Hello Peaks.

Looking at schematic line drawings: the fact your cap has the sliding raised triangular curved cover and the units side depth, it looks identical. As such I would say that you have the correct locking fuel cap for your car.

Hope that helps ??

Regards.

Richard.

Thanks Richard.

Apologies for the Shocking thread drift, but out of interest, which do you prefer driving, the Vitesse or the Alpine? I ask as I Also have a Sunbeam, and find it a very different kettle of fish to my Vitesse, both driving wise and quality of construction.

Hello Peaks.

I think you have hit the nail on the head !!

Have just recently got back from France touring in the Vitesse with 920 miles clocked up and in significant sunny conditions; 30 degrees plus more often than not. The car did not miss a beat and I have to say I was really pleased with the service it returned. In fairness I had done a lot prep on the car, but that is time well invested whatever the circumstances are. I love the car !!

The Alpine, well that is a dream car to drive and compared to the Vitesse does not utter a squeak from anywhere - a pure driving experience. It's like going up a step driving / owning classic cars.

Rootes were light years ahead of their time with cars and the Alpine reflects that totally. You have to own one or drive one to really understand that. I'm sure you will understand the sentiment. I REALLY love that car !!

They are so different and yet complement each other in so many different ways.

At the end of the day I am privileged to own both and to drive 2x superb classics is an absolute joy; with a  very big smile on my face.

What more can I say ?? !!

Regards.

Richard.  

Interesting. I have a Tiger & the build quality, materials used & general engineering standards are better, as is the ride & level of comfort especially over long distances. But, I much prefer the Vitesse's looks & styling (much more striking) and it is easier to drive round towns. Technically the independent rear suspension was a more daring move on Standard Triumph's part, and at least they threw in an interior light that comes on when you open the doors and a glove box lid!

As you say, the two do compliment each other well, 

post-27-0-78706800-1437856617_thumb.jpg

Before we bore other TSSC members !!

Great photo, Peaks.

Here is my Alpine and the Vitesse; the latter of which is taking advantage of some shade during our very recent touring trip to France - 33 degrees that day and car ran without a hitch during the two weeks & 900+ miles under its tyres.

Back to the original thread, I see that fuel cap sold for just under £38 !!

Obviously somebody really wanted it !!

I note your Vitesse is a Mk2 (J reg) but with a Mk1 grill. Cosmetic preference ??

Best wishes.

Richard.

post-818-0-93304600-1437903630_thumb.jpg

post-818-0-94246500-1437903720_thumb.jpg

Nice cars Richard. I particularly like the alloys on the Triumph.

Yes, cosmetic preference. Several years ago a friend was breaking a Mk1 2 litre and as the bits were lying about I played around with the look of my car. That photo was taken a couple of years ago and the Vitesse now sports the correct grille and headlight surrounds again. Still got the Vitesse 6 script on the silver boot lid insert though as I prefer that to the later TRIUMPH badge.