Delaney Heater

raygeorge

Hello Everyone, 

We hope you are very well.

I wish we didn't but we do have a Delaney Heater Unit. It is not happy. Valve not working, matrix probably not, hoses ideally need replacing.

Smiths Units and parts seem much easier to get. Can I switch from a Delaney to a Smiths?  Are bulkhead interfaces the same......?   Or where can I get Delaney bits.

Be as technical as you like, we are at a bit of a standstill at present.

Ray

The DG unit is reckoned to be better (by the standards of the day!) but the parts can be harder to find, especially the valve - there's one going on eBay at present for funny money. It's funny but you can buy complete units - I bought a fully powder-coated unit recently for £45 - for less than the price of a valve and if you're careful you can still find a good replacement on which everything works. Keep an eye out online.

The sloping Smiths unit is easier to find parts for and is a straight swap to the bodywork; the gaskets are the same in both but you'll need slightly different hoses to attach to the valve. You can convert the DG unit to a Smiths valve by using a valve adaptor which screws into the rear of the cylinder head, costs about £10, but then you can use a Smiths valve with, again, adapted hoses to suit. 

You can disassemble them or remove them quite easily; it might be worth flushing your matrix out - just disconnect the hoses and run a water hose through from either direction, to see if it clears the pipes any. Is your valve broken, blocked, or stuck? Sometimes the rubber seal goes, which just means the heat is on all the time, but if ity starts leaking water then unless a plumber can resolder it, it's no longer any use.

If the heater is working fine and it's just the valve, you can put a simple in-hose valve, from a modern VW, into the pipe to replace the original. They just work on a simple pull-lever on/off which will use the existing cable and cost about £8.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Golf-MK1-Heater-Control-Valve-and-VW-transporter-Type-25-171-819-809E/184185080131?hash=item2ae2494943:g:dw4AAOSwC29eVA4A

Thank you Colin.That is immensely helpful.  We've been searching e bay intensely for about four months without coming up with anything Delaney, and to be honest not much Smiths. A Delaney valve put in a brief appearance - a new one, and sold in a nano second. So we're not the only ones out there looking. 

Any suiggestions as to where complete units, or parts might be sourced would be wonderful. Rimmers and Canley have nothing Delaney.

4 hours ago, PeteH said:

Wasn`t that type of control valve, used across a range of vehicles back in period?. Not just Triumph?. (560612 = Herald Looks exactly the same, Smiths or Delaney?).

Pete

Yes, it's a Ranco valve, used on more than a few vehicles of the period. Still hard to get, though.

Ray - let me know what parts you need, I have lots of DG stuff and can sort something out for you. If we can't get a valve there are easy workarounds.

Hi - thank you all so much. Our first time on the forum and a great welcome.

Colin I will investigate and be in touch about the status of the heater. The VW inline sounds good!

My wife  bought our Herald two weeks after we met (on a train!)  to come and visit me in Windsor. She was a nurse working crazy hours at St Thomas' Hospital and wanted ease of travel. In 1977 you could zip down via Hammersmith in some ridiculously short time! We still have our much loved Herald and she has done 377,000 miles.  She was bodily rebuilt about 1987.

Will any of you ever speak to us again if we tell you that though we still have the roof we - did a Tristan conversion thirty years ago.....eek.

Ray

1 hour ago, raygeorge said:

Will any of you ever speak to us again if we tell you that though we still have the roof we - did a Tristan conversion thirty years ago.....eek.

Ray

Yes of course we'll still speak to you. Mind you what will be said is of course another matter 🤔

My Herald has a DG heater, and mine didn’t work either.

I stripped it down, flushed the matrix, which was full of muck, and then took a look at the valve itself, which didn’t appear to be working either.

Turns out there is a small screw on the valve which adjusts the throw of the valve itself, and by adjusting it I was able to get the valve to open properly.

pmvqgtEHj

So the valve may not be toast but just in need of a bit of attention.

Karl

• Like 1

Karl thank you for the photo and taking the time and trouble. You are all so helpful. Thank You.Chris - we deserve anything that's said we know!

Just that the car is such a part of family and bought under such special circumstances no question of getting rid for a convertible. 

Chris A: Our Herald lives  a lot in Normandy -  near St Hilaire du Harcouet. You can't be (relatively) far. Do you belong to any clubs because we'd like to join.

• 5 months later...

Practically the same part; if you search Ranco valves online they were used in quite a number of vehicles including some American makes. If those Jag versions are new I wonder who makes the seals? Replacement seals would be very welcome in our cars.

I found this one a short while ago and snapped it up; advertised as Ranco and not DG.

1926602696_ScreenShot2021-05-25at14_07_18.jpg.f66212af1a0649d5a4c739319efaf2b5.jpg

• Like 1