Fitting new wiring loom.

SpitfireGeorge

Hi Guys,

What is the easiest (best) way of fitting the rear wiring loom. Push all the wires through the hole in the inner and middle sills and pull them over the rear wheel arch to the back or drop the connector socket down inside the rear wing and then try to pull it out of the hole in the sill? Both methods seem likely to cause damage to the wiring.

Cheers

I don't think the original routing involved any holes in the sills. I think the loom runs along the floor and through the cut-out in the cross-member under the front of the seat. At the back the loom passes up inside the bottom of the B-post to the much larger hole in the inner rear wing, I think.

Hi.

I took the loom out of my 13/60 Herald. It was routed down the front LH side behind the trim panel and along the floor under a cut out in the lower "B" Post behind the trim panel over the wheel arch into the boot. At no point does it run outside the car. I supect the Spitfire may be very similar?. The Herald has no cross member BTW.

Pete

Fitting the REAR loom on a Spitfire is easier than that (at least on a MkIV/1500).

The rear loom runs from D/S light cluster across to P/S cluster, then into the P/S rear wing, via the night dimming relay, to a connector behind the P/S rear wheel trim panel inside the cockpit.  From that point forward you're technically in the separate main loom.

If you're actually replacing the whole loom then forward from the connector it's out through a hole in the bottom of the B post by the seat belt floor mounting and along the little channel in the floor pressing under the passenger seat, through a cut-out in the cross member just in front of the passenger seat and...somehow across the passenger footwell and up the side of the footwell ahead of the door to the fusebox (Though I can't for the life or me picture if it goes up the door edge of the footwell or the bulkhead one.  I think it follows a wiggly diagonal channel and up at the bulkhead).

1 hour ago, Mjit said:

to a connector behind the P/S rear wheel trim panel inside the cockpit.

I don't recognise that description. Neither my Spitfire nor my GT6 (nor either of my brother's old Spitfires) had a connector in the rear panel. The loom from the rear lights passes over the wheel arch, through a hole in the B-post, down a channel behind the trim panel, along the floor and up into the passenger side bulkhead area, where there is a connector to the "main" loom. Perhaps they changed it on the 1500? My Spit is a Mk3 but the GT6 is a 1972 model.

Thanks guys.

Managed to thread the connector block down the rear nearside wing and out through a hole at the bottom of the B post (inner sill). Had to file that hole a fair bit bigger to get it through. I am replacing the solderless connectors with crimped ones. Will install the main (front) wiring loom next, hopefully next week. I am considering fitting a modern fuse box and some relays once I work out where the relays go. Anybody got any ideas how to tell which of the relay connects are main or secondary? 

Cheers.

11 hours ago, SpitfireGeorge said:

Anybody got any ideas how to tell which of the relay connects are main or secondary? 

If by "main" or "secondary" you mean "winding" or "contacts" (or possibly the other way round) then there's a standard numbering scheme, invented by Bosch but we don't hold that against it, and the pins should be labelled with the numbers 30, 85, 86, 87 and possibly 87a.

The number (of relays) I have fitted over the years, mostly to Cars for Towing Caravans with Twin Sockets!. I should know it off by heart!!. But everytime I have to get the notes out which I made over 30 years ago, when 2S plugs and sockets first came out!.

Pete