Wheel studs

Roger K

I once had a home made slide hammer for removing half shafts. Talk about over engineered it took two people to use it, but it never failed to get a shaft out. People would come for miles to borrow it. The churchill one we had was good, but not like the "Boss" as we called it. 

Tony.

I also have one like that.  I can't remember (again) where I got it, but it really needs two to operate as it's seriously heavy.  Not sure I'd want to use a slide hammer like that on a weedy Triumph rear hub, I suspect the tool and half the diff would end up on the floor...

Have something similar for my Vitesse rear hubs made by a local one man band engineering firm from a flanged pipe, also used it to remove the drive shafts from the front wheel hubs when I had a 1500FWD.

Proper tools remove the prospect of damage and make the job lot easier.

Hope you get the wheel stud problem resolved.

Regards

Paul

Well, I removed the Bastuck rear hubs and cleaned everything up for reassembly.  I cleaned and painted the old original hubs, and checked them for the grease seal landing - just about OK - and the fit to brake drum.  Not OK.  Someone, somewhere, in the dim distant past has removed these with a legged puller and they are not flat, with the drum rocking on the hub.  A straight edge across the surface reveals some pretty deep dips which were so easy to see I didn't bother to measure with feeler gauges.  One was much worse than the other, so I dug out one I bought on ebay a while back - no, just as bad.

Eventually I decided to use the Bastuck hubs again.  They look very nicely made, and are much more substantial than the Stanpart castings.  I can't see any variation in PCD and frankly given the way they look I think that's pretty unlikely.  However as I still don't know who makes Rimmers shiny black studs, I have fitted the ones I got from Canley Classics - no. 4 in my first photo.  The metal just looks better, somehow.... and I don't trust the shiny look of the others, and I do trust CC.

We'll see!