Alpine or 'le pain'?

SixasStandard

In the unlikely event that anyone's remotely interested, here is the latest grisly photographic evidence of my attempts to resurrect my down at heel Sunbeam Alpine 'Ruby'.

Several weeks ago (I've lost the exact timeline, in common with those locked in solitary confinement for long periods) I started on the nearside front corner of the car, which, at the time, seemed like a good way to ease my way into the restoration, bearing in mind it was the corner that looked the least frightening. An undisclosed period (and yards of welding wire) later, and I'm still languishing in that same wheel well.........only now with the sort of 1000 yard stare normally associated with Vietnam War veterans with 2 tours under their belt. I have to laugh when I see these extreme athletes entering 'Iron Men' or 'Tough Mudder' competitions, if you really want to test yourself to the extremes of human endurance, then try lying on a concrete floor in -4 degrees temperatures scraping 40 year old underseal off the inside of an Alpine wheel arch for 2 solid days!! Some of the things I'm finding have to be seen to be believed, 'bodgery' just doesn't adequately describe it.

Anyway......I'm now close to completing the N/S front section of the project, so O/S front wing here I come!!  Ahhh!.......the smell of weld burning through filler first thing in the morning.........it smells like.............Ruby.

Ian    

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, SixasStandard said:

if you really want to test yourself to the extremes of human endurance, then try lying on a concrete floor in -4 degrees temperatures scraping 40 year old underseal off the inside of an Alpine wheel arch for 2 solid days!! 

Ahhh!.......the smell of weld burning through filler first thing in the morning.........it smells like.............Ruby.

Ian 

I did, for too many years, hence the new garage and bits of old carpet to lie on... but the underseal and bodgery is the same! I must post a few pics of the current nightmare that is my Herald rear tub. You've been there! It cheers me up to see I'm not alone.

As for the smell of weld... it sets off my smoke alarms every time. Not that the neighbours ever came running with buckets of water...

2 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I did, for too many years, hence the new garage and bits of old carpet to lie on... but the underseal and bodgery is the same! I must post a few pics of the current nightmare that is my Herald rear tub. You've been there! It cheers me up to see I'm not alone.

As for the smell of weld... it sets off my smoke alarms every time. Not that the neighbours ever came running with buckets of water...

Smoke alarms in the garage Colin?.........very swish!!

Ian

No C-O Alarm?. I took the battery out of the smoke alarm!!. As for the Underseal removal. Was I ever glad of the ability to turn mine over, and work "downhand". I don`t think my back would have survived it!. But I`v "wimped out" of working in -4, too many frostbitten fingers working out on deck in the North Sea in winter! up Norway.

Pete

Smoke alarms are mains-powered and very high up in the roof so can't reach them, even if I could poke a button or something and turn them off. It's all the builder's fault, he insisted on them.

I must admit, as with Pete's post, it's so much easier on an upside-down tub. I've found this morning that petrol on an old cloth takes most of it off quite easily.

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Smoke alarms are mains-powered and very high up in the roof so can't reach them, even if I could poke a button or something and turn them off. It's all the builder's fault, he insisted on them.

I must admit, as with Pete's post, it's so much easier on an upside-down tub. I've found this morning that petrol on an old cloth takes most of it off quite easily.

A good friend reckons spray diesel (a pump sprayer like the brake cleaner jobbies) and leave overnight. Then it should come off quite easily. I would be tempted to cover in tin foil to prevent evaporation, but diesel is pretty inert. Get red diesel and it is nice and cheap....

59 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

It`s a "statutary" requirement now for at least one or two and hard wired. Or so the building inspector said!. Integral garages are regarded as part of the house. The battery ones are OK for "extra`s" or Caravans, Separate Garages sheds and Motorhomes etc;. I used a  sharp scraper and washed it off with Brake cleaner. I like to steer clear of Petrol as a cleaner, having once had to put out a pair of overalls which "self ignighted", Fortunately I had just removed them!.

Pete

28 minutes ago, PeteH said:

It`s a "statutary" requirement now for at least one or two and hard wired. Or so the building inspector said!. Integral garages are regarded as part of the house. The battery ones are OK for "extra`s" or Caravans, Separate Garages sheds and Motorhomes etc;. I used a  sharp scraper and washed it off with Brake cleaner. I like to steer clear of Petrol as a cleaner, having once had to put out a pair of overalls which "self ignighted", Fortunately I had just removed them!.

Pete

I think a smoke detector in a garage is nuts, and any alarm installer would object because of nuisance tripping.

If it is a necessity, a heat alarm would be a much better option. Should be easy to swap. 

24 minutes ago, clive said:

I think a smoke detector in a garage is nuts, and any alarm installer would object because of nuisance tripping.

If it is a necessity, a heat alarm would be a much better option. Should be easy to swap. 

To be fair, The type of domestic smoke detector, under discusson is not suitable for a workspace anyway. In shipboard practice ( and probably industry) the sensors used are far more sophisticated (now). They measure the smoke amounts and are monitored and calibrated to ignore "normal" conditions, which can fluctuate based on attitude and temperature among other parameters . Assessing other spectrum ie; Infra Red as well. Early day, ones could be overidden for a fixed time period, say when welding. Which was at least of some use. But they where not exactly £10 at B&Q!!.

Pete

1 hour ago, clive said:

Ok, so we need to rewrite basic Building Regulations which says I had to have two due to the size of the garage. There are actually three, one in the upstairs room as well. Otherwise: no signing off on the build, plus they had to be installed by a competent technician too.

It's a domestic garage which to be honest probably didn't envisage welding or grinding when they were installed. They'll go off if there's a fire, which is good. They're hardwired, run off the mains, and have a natty little green light which looks great in the dark. All I need to do is open the door at one end and the window at the other, and they stay off. It was just too windy the other day.... :) 

the fire service guidance is for heat alarms in a garage

https://www.fireservice.co.uk/safety/smoke-alarms/

Building officers can often get details like that wrong. A fire alarm installer can override the BC officer. Or in my case the environmental health/private lettings (they asked for smoke alarms in bathrooms, the installer laughed, called the council and explained why they were idiots. He was a little more polite than that, but not much)

13 hours ago, clive said:

Building officers can often get details like that wrong. 

Like the female who repeatedly claimed that I had changed the plans for the garage - three times she sent out queries and warning letters until I managed to get her and the builder at the same time.

That window is THERE - and that window is THERE - and there they are on the plans. She didn't even have the grace to apologise. Anyway - back roughly on thread - going to try Clive's recommendation of diesel this morning for underseal removal and report back. The curved faces of the inner wheelarch do not lend themselves to any kind of easy scraping.

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

The curved faces of the inner wheelarch do not lend themselves to any kind of easy scraping.

This is where I suddenly realize the worrying level of insight that the missus has regarding yours truly........and I quote......."You always have to make things more difficult for yourself don't you!". My two days of chilly prostration in a gloomy wheel arch clutching a paint scraper certainly seems to back up her hypothesis.

Ian 

`Err Indoors. Keeps finding me job`s. The latest is a "requirement" for the Planting Bed in the Back garden to be dug out and "refreshed" in an attempt to get rid of persistant weed. So trailer load of "Well Rotted" and a double dig session this week in the projected "dry" weather. Then resting the back, I should think. So unlikely any Triumph molesting.😢

I used a Triangular scraper with a radius back edge for the inner wheel arch, with a Paint stripper hot air heat gun.

Pete

8 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Like the female who repeatedly claimed that I had changed the plans for the garage - three times she sent out queries and warning letters until I managed to get her and the builder at the same time.

That window is THERE - and that window is THERE - and there they are on the plans. She didn't even have the grace to apologise. Anyway - back roughly on thread - going to try Clive's recommendation of diesel this morning for underseal removal and report back. The curved faces of the inner wheelarch do not lend themselves to any kind of easy scraping.

I understand it neds to be left to soak overnight. Petrol may be faster, but more volatile.

I'm a  Fairly recent convert to the Sunbeam mark, after 30 years plus of Triumphs!

They do seem to rust exceedingly well😬

When I was looking for one 3 or 4 years ago, I got a guided tour of the rot spots by Andy of the Sunbeam Spares Co.

He had a late Series 5 Alpine up on the Ramps, it was a one family owned car and they were trying to decide if to have it restored, I had never seen such rot in all my life, the lower parts of the 3 piece sills had long gone, the inner wheel arches and cruciform sections were in a terrible state too, not sure what happened to it but he had estimated £20K plus to put it right bodily and that was without any Mechanical Restoration work?

There's a guy local to me called Phil who is restoring a USA Import Tiger, it was left in an Orchard for 20 years apparently, I went to see it before the lockdown and he's really got some work on, he keeps plugging away at it though (2+ years of Plugging away!)  

PS - Seen your Photo's on the Alpine forum too, keep at it?🤔

35 minutes ago, Gary Flinn said:

PS - Seen your Photo's on the Alpine forum too, keep at it?🤔

Hello Gary,

Most people seem to think that I'm insane, so I've not had a lot of moral support really!!

My car is definitely a challenge, but then that's what I signed up for.........so it's just head down and plough on!! I'm certainly not short of things to do during lockdown.

Regards,

Ian

• Like 1

have yours got the moveable/adjustable   pedal box ???

I ordered a new Alpine   Staff purchase  in the Ryton factory but had to cancel as a sprog was now in the plans 

changed to an Avenger  which had galloping scab from 600 miles old never did get my Alpine 

well the nearest was a Diff from a wreck of a Talbot Alpine race special as my  53 Minx Engine kept wrecking diffs 

and shearing  drive shafts the old car was dumped in a collapsing farm barn ..very dodgy but we didnt care back then 

but still no Alpine 

Pete

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

have yours got the moveable/adjustable   pedal box ???

I ordered a new Alpine   Staff purchase  in the Ryton factory but had to cancel as a sprog was now in the plans 

changed to an Avenger  which had galloping scab from 600 miles old never did get my Alpine 

well the nearest was a Diff from a wreck of a Talbot Alpine race special as my  53 Minx Engine kept wrecking diffs 

and shearing  drive shafts the old car was dumped in a collapsing farm barn ..very dodgy but we didnt care back then 

but still no Alpine 

Pete

Hello Pete,

Yes, the pedals are adjustable, and together with the 'telescopic' adjustable steering wheel, and the Microcell seats with their adjustable rake and generous fore/aft travel, all combined to give the Alpine a very comfortable driving position. I'm 6'3"" with long legs, so not every classic suits my size. In fact I modified the Vitesse's seat runners to get more rearward travel and better leg room. I didn't know that you'd worked at Ryton Pete, were you there during Series Alpine production? If you swapped your order to an Avenger then I imagine that you'd originally ordered an 'Arrow' model Alpine? mine is the predecessor 'Audax' version. Thanks for the recommendation regarding the book, I'll have to look into getting a copy. 

Ian