Brake problem.

rulloyd

11 hours ago, rulloyd said:

Sorry you had to repeat yourself.

hey no problem just the crystal ball has covid   gets cloudy at time  Ha 

this is a pain to do but can make all the difference , sorry its get out and get under 

just disconnect one end   lock up hard, readjust the  cable to a neat fit   de adjust the shoes just enough to free off 

you get a better feel with wheel on but that makes refits a pain . one turn on the adjuster should work 

if you get on improvement I'll get me coat 

Pete

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

hey no problem just the crystal ball has covid   gets cloudy at time  Ha 

this is a pain to do but can make all the difference , sorry its get out and get under 

just disconnect one end   lock up hard, readjust the  cable to a neat fit   de adjust the shoes just enough to free off 

you get a better feel with wheel on but that makes refits a pain . one turn on the adjuster should work 

if you get on improvement I'll get me coat 

Pete

It's a shame its not impossible to adjust brakes without having to remove the handbrake cable, no offence Rich it's ok if you have spent your life with them like myself Pete and others on here.:) 

Tony.

just to add you only need to set the handbrake cable up once after that just normal adjustment maintains everything correctly 

so if its an unkown when you pull the clevis out and snarl up the adjuster if this makes a gap between the lever and the clevis fork 

you have made a  worthwhile difference easy to correct and reap the benefits 

well the suns out  

Pete

I think the key is, as the manual says, to check that you can move the cable clevise pins up and down freely so they are not under tension with the handbrake off. If this is the case theres obviously no need to disconnect the cable to carry out the brake shoe adjustment...

Had those common dimples, not too severe. Had an issue on braking on one side. A thumping when braking at slow speeds and much less shoe wear.

I welded the dimple on that side and flatted it, and hoped that cured it. No. After more messing about,( changing wheel cylinder, etc), As a last resort, after reading about hoses deteriating internally (working as a one way valve) I changed them. No problem since.

So maybe worth bearing in mind if you get these symptoms.

Car passed 2 MOT's with these symptoms. I asked about the brake test. Just a bit of grabbing on the dodgy side was the reply.

Dave     

Edited by daverclasper

I had a similar problem Dave on the Sprint on a club run pulled up and car slew left off the road, then again locally but at faster speed then realized problem was the old rubber hoses locking the front left caliper, replaced with S/S braided nylon hoses no more problems and a great pedal pressure.

A friend with a Mk3 GT6, with a similar problem but unfortunately at speed and ran off the road just missed a tree minor damage!

Problem is it only happens intermittently & it take a while to realize WHY!