Legality of LED bulbs

Peter Truman

On the Pattern Parts thread there is reference/inference to LED's replacement bulbs only being legal in certain classic car fixtures, can some one advise where there permitted or not, as I'm in Aus its only of interest, I 'm not aware of any edict here.

I have LED's fitted to the Spit's tail, stop lights, and rear flashers, I find issues if I fit LED's to the front flashers even with a transistorized flasher can, but OK with std bulbs up front.. 

No problem with them anywhere at all as long as they make the flashers work within the flash rate parameters however it's the headlamps that are the issue; LED headlamps that have been made by adapting original sealed beam, or Halogen lamp units, are illegal.

Some owners prefer the warm yellow glow of original bulbs to the bright glare of white LEDs, but I don't think any are actually illegal.

Thanks Pete.

A story here re replacement sealed headlights as you are probably aware we have a club Permit registration system here for classic cars, there is some onus on the club to ensure the car is fit for use when the club officer annually re-approve the Permit.

Consequently the club Permit officer's do a random cursory check, lights,  tyres, brakes (pedal travel firmness & moisture test), severe oil leaks, corrosion (not an issue normally).

When doing the check on a tight fisted member's Stag & who has had tyre age issues in the past (side cracking), we advised rear tail lights were clouded repair or replace, new pedal rubbers, then my mate who was a senior uniformed police officer called me to the front of the car and asked what's wrong with the outer dipped headlights, they looked odd then we twigged the dip pattern was different on the LH & RH lens the RH pointing more vertically. So tools out and removed the lights the little locating lugs on the RH light were correctly spaced so the light fitted in the carrier but the lugs were not correctly orientated, on looking closer the defective light was PRC manufacture, tight arse didn't replace the light but modified the mounting to fit the incorrect lugs/dimples! 

Never seen another case of this problem!

I do too but from the standpoint that the lenses on older vehicles are more standardized and therefore an LED replacement ought to be easier.

The H7 replacement bulbs that are legal here are because they plugged them into set of vehicles and tested that pattern.

These vehicles range from BMWs to Renaults all with differently shaped headlights.

Most of our cars have the standard H4 round lights with the same pattern in the lens.

The only problem I see is the manufacturers might not see us as a big enough market...