What's she worth?

Pablo

I was rather fortunate to have acquired this Vitesse through probate. The V5 arrived today and it transpires I'm on the second owner since new.

I'm know what I paid for the car, but I have no idea what it's really worth. Any ideas? Not selling, just curious!

'64 Vitesse 6. Professionally restored in 1994, and I believe 27k miles since. Two owners from new. Not immaculate, but pretty darn good! Only done 300 or so miles in the last 15 years. No history, just the V5. I'm sure it's all somewhere in the former owner's property, but the solicitor said it wasn't found. Shame really! 

vitesse.jpg

• Like 1

That looks great, Olive/Cactus really works😃

Someone also looks to have done a great job of the restoration, was it the Body of the Chassis?

If so they've manage to get great Panel fit which is never easy

Hard to value these early Vitesse 6 Saloons, but they are quite rare compared with the 2 Litre Models, there are a couple for sale on E-Bay at the moment with one priced at £12K which is optimistic for that particular car in my Opinion. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-Vitesse-6/324490553860?hash=item4b8d24ea04:g:Xb8AAOSwGXNgLkyS

This ones climbing and looks straight with low mileage but needs some re-commissioning work

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIUMPH-VITESSE-Mark-I-1964-1600cc-6-cylinder-CLASSIC-CAR/124575171916?hash=item1d0142454c:g:84wAAOSwsAVgKrjB

I Would say £8k to £10K for Insurance purposes for yours.

Enjoy 

Great, thank you for that. 

I only know the name of the company that restored it (SW Classics) but that's it. I know a small amount about the former owner from chatting with her neighbours, but that's it. Seemingly as poor as a church mouse, but with this lovely car hidden in a nearby garage.

I didn't even have a key, so I had to break in with some string and order a new key from the barrel code! 

1 minute ago, Pablo said:

Great, thank you for that. 

I only know the name of the company that restored it (SW Classics) but that's it. I know a small amount about the former owner from chatting with her neighbours, but that's it. Seemingly as poor as a church mouse, but with this lovely car hidden in a nearby garage.

I didn't even have a key, so I had to break in with some string and order a new key from the barrel code! 

SW Classics was a Restoration company run by Stan Walters in the Devon area, he retired several years ago I believe.

They had an excellent reputation and restored some Lovely Vitesse's, including a Laurel Green Mk2 Convertible for Practical Classics Magazine back in the 1990's.

I think they also restored a TR6 for the same magazine

I've added a couple of links to a Vitesse 6 Saloon (Low Mileage) and a very early Convertible that are currently for sale on E-Bay to my original post.

The Saloon looks very straight indeed but needs work, currently the bidding is at around £5.5K

10 minutes ago, Gary Flinn said:

SW Classics was a Restoration company run by Stan Walters in the Devon area, he retired several years ago I believe.

They had an excellent reputation and restored some Lovely Vitesse's, including a Laurel Green Mk2 Convertible for Practical Classics Magazine back in the 1990's.

I've added a couple of links to a Vitesse 6 Saloon (Low Mileage) and a very early Convertible that are currently for sale on E-Bay to my original post.

The Saloon looks very straight indeed but needs work, currently the bidding is at around £5.5K

Great, thank you. It's interesting to see the others for sale. Mine's far nicer (in my opinion!) and almost fully original. It's still +ve earth, which I might sort soon and put a USB in the glovebox.

Very interesting about SW Classics and their reputation. That all adds to very limited info I already have

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gary Flinn said:

He retired about 2006? I bought a restored bonnet and bulkhead from him as he was clearing out.

Yes, good quality work, but the car never went back together, the body sections went to a nice chap from Lincoln.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

After a discussion with my partner, we've decided to sell the Vitesse. Although I adore the car, I'm not a triumph enthusiast and it came into my ownership by chance. I think it would be better with someone who will love it more, and have the opportunity to use it more that I would.

I'm not sure if there's a for sale board on here, so I'll take a look and will add some details. if I fine one.

if you are a club member then adverts on the clubs  main website /classified are free you load yourself 

you can say its up for sale but link to an advertising site  as adverts on forum are not supposed to be allowed 

but some quiet notes about it to find a home can work 

see https://www.tssc.org.uk/tssc/classifieds.asp

Pete

On 25/02/2021 at 17:16, Gary Flinn said:

Stan Walters restored my Vitesse bodywork way back in the mid-eighties, including dip galvanizing the chassis. He had a very good sprayer working for him, a young lad, but very good. I was very happy with his work.

Gav

Stan Walters, SW classics, Brook house Dartington Totnes

I believe Stan now lives in France, great chap!

I used to spend a lot of Saturday mornings there!

He was also into model railways and collecting war memorabilia from battlefields in France

she has been converted  to strombergs  you can see the original 3 hole triangle flanges of the manifold  

think the kit was made by Alexanders  being the adaptor to change the   twin solex downdrafts to Strombergs 

they may be 1.25CD  if both were 150CD then you gain  a useful  12 bhp over the solex set up

just if if anyone asks 

Pete

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

she has been converted  to strombergs  you can see the original 3 hole triangle flanges of the manifold  

think the kit was made by Alexanders  being the adaptor to change the   twin solex downdrafts to Strombergs 

they may be 1.25CD  if both were 150CD then you gain  a useful  12 bhp over the solex set up

just if if anyone asks 

Pete

That's interesting! Ill share it with whoever comes to see it. I've already had some calls and have a visit being arranged soon, which is great.

I've removed the price and have put the Car and Classics ad as offers invited. I don't have enough knowledge regarding the value of this car, nor have any set expectations, so I'll let the market decide what she's worth!

Hi!  I new Stan Walters!  When I purchased my 1600/6 which I found in a Barn on top of Totnes mountain, back in 1998, I purchased a brand new chassis and a few other bits from him!  He also gave me a Signed "Practical Classics Book.  He then moved to Spain a couple of years after that.

I posted the car advert on facebook marketplace and there's been quite a lot of interest.

Most interestingly, Stan Walters of SW Classics saw the advert and sent me a message. He said he doesn't have any paperwork for the car, but would be happy to answer any question to help uncover some things about the car's history. 

Stan's name has been mentioned a lot on here, so I'm delighted to have heard from him.