Courtesy light on herald convertible

Jeffds1360

I'm struggling to refurbish the dash light on the 13/60. It works on doors opening but it will not switch on using the lever. I've pulled the plastic pins down and got the bottom cover plate off. I've removed the ashtray (and binned it) and the surrounding. 

I can get my fingers in and feel around but cannot see in or work out how to drop the unit to check connector. I do not want to damage the plastic cover or remove the dash if possible.....

I am assuming that the lever is meant to switch it on in all circumstances?

Gratefully for any info please

Majic Pete.....or not majic as you say. I'll need mirrors though...hope there is no smoke :)

I'll try and work viewing from in front of the windscreen... twizzle comes to mind again...or a thin fingered assistant!!

edited now thescrapman replied.... I pulled two black plastic pins down and out.... they will now not push fully back in???

Edited by Jeffds1360
New post

With the two pins out, you need to push upwards and inwards; it's sandwiched tightly between the two parts of the dash so if you can expand the dash halves to create a bigger gap, it'll move backwards.

When refitting it, make up some small lengths of colour-coded cable to the terminals, maybe three inches or so, with bullet connectors on and fit them to the light before you slide it into place; they'll be easier to reconnect to the main loom rather than doing it in braille up behind the dash. (If you fit the originals with no extensions before fitting the light, by the time the light's in place the bullets have pulled out again!)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jeffds1360 said:

Hmmm... so if the unit goes up and back, it comes out through the ashtray opening?

Never tried that; this top-dash ashtray thingie is too modern for mine... but if it fits, fine... however getting it back in might be a bit of a faffle - you can see how extending the connections makes sense then.

:)  when I first got the car the bulb was missing. I replaced it and found it was on, permanently. I sorted the door switches and fettled it. I had levered the bulb out and it fell onto the drivers rubber foot mat. ... there is a melted patch where it fell !

Cheers all. ( I have something fitted above the ashtray which you will not appreciate...... ?? It will have to come off then !

3 hours ago, Jeffds1360 said:

I'm confused re 'the dash halves' Colin..... mine is all in one piece???

Cannot find pictures anywhere... I need pictures :)

The dash 'folds over' at the front, the light is under the top layer and pokes through the lower layer. It's a tight squeeze for the light unit until it reaches the hole it drops down into. You need to widen this bit sufficiently for the light unit to be able to go in and out, just by gently spreading the two 'halves' or the top and bottom faces. The switch is the delicate part as it protrudes further than the rest of the unit; be careful not the bend it or break it off completely. The photo is taken from in behind, so you're looking into the slot that the light has to slide into with the light shining through and reflecting off the underside of the dash top.

87F1EEDE-5607-456B-AED3-789719825372_1_105_c.jpg.d1f190f6680d40863f561473721ba134.jpg

Thanks again all. Just cleaned the contacts and it works now.

Switch to right and permanently on.

Switch to left and the 'return spring's buts up to the earth end of the bulb clip and I'm surprised it does not earth through that ! ?

Never mind. I'll leave the switch in the middle.

What a lovely day here! Time for an essential spin out :)