Connecting a 12v and 5 v socket

Robin

Easiest way of all is to string a power cable from the +ve terminal of the battery, with an inline fuse. Permanently live if you want to keep devices powered up, but watch it doesn't flatten the battery.

If you only want it to run while the ignition is on then I would guess that you could link into the white ignition circuit; but it's the 12v socket that is making me wary - I wonder if the existing wiring would handle whatever it is you want to plug in? The way radios etc used to be connected was via a spare terminal on the rear of the ignition switch; this means that the devices can't be left running and flatten the battery as once the ignition is turned off then the power stops too. 

• Like 1

If you want a permanent connection (so powered even when you are away from the car) you need to connect wither direct to the battery via an inline fuse (10A will be plenty) However, be careful. I found that the usb charger I had plugged into a permanent live drew 0.1A, but over a couple of weeks it drained the battery significantly.

Plan B is to connect via the radio supply wire, but maybe fit a 5A fuse. That should be plenty to do normal charging type stuff. If you want to get clever, you could use a relay triggered by te radio supply, or the ignition circuit (white wires) with the power direct from the battery. This would ease the load on the ignition switch and you could use a 10A fuse or higher. But that is unnecessary, chargers draw small currents

• Like 1

Ok, So Wiring as in Where to best position. Or to which system?. IF I was doing it in a Car in use?, The I would be more tempted to run from the fuse box, or even direct from the battery. Via an Inline fuse, and take the Negative to the nearest accessible Earth or even back to the battery. In the interests of getting the cleanest Voltage. Triumph wiring is at best mostly 40 to 50 years old, and IMHO, better not interfered with. In my case as I have no wiring currently I would/will add it to the loom, from a more modern Multiway Fuse box. In the interest of better reliability.

Pete

Thanks for all the advice. It sounds as though the simple approach would be to connect directly to the battery with an in line fuse and a suitable earth. I plan to only use my phone (USB) or sat nav (12v) when the car is running so don’t think this will cause any battery drain. 

2 minutes ago, Robin said:

Thanks for all the advice. It sounds as though the simple approach would be to connect directly to the battery with an in line fuse and a suitable earth. I plan to only use my phone (USB) or sat nav (12v) when the car is running so don’t think this will cause any battery drain. 

Ah - just re-read Clive’s comment about the USB charger unit drawing power from the battery even when nothing is connected. So could I connect the 12v supply directly to the battery and the 5v supply to the radio connection?

32 minutes ago, Robin said:

Ah - just re-read Clive’s comment about the USB charger unit drawing power from the battery even when nothing is connected. So could I connect the 12v supply directly to the battery and the 5v supply to the radio connection?

That would be a very good idea! use the 12V so you can leave stuff on permanent charge if needed. 

The one I had took me a little while to find. I forgot the usb thingy was still plugged in, so went through each circuit with a multimeter, then stuck my head in the dash area. I have a socket cut into the passenger glovebox side panel (the side in the middle of the car) as it is out of sight and convenient for charging a phone etc.  I am tempted to fit a socket in the boot for longer trips away, but I doubt it will ever happen as I have survived up to now without.

8 hours ago, Robin said:

Just connect To the battery, the 5v is done inside the box of tricks, and it will be that trickery that will slowly drain the battery