Vitesse misfire

Gadgetman

Where do people normally start investigating a miss fire under load?

The engine runs beautifully with the car stood but out driving it has a miss fire when under moderate load, I.e accelerating.
It’s a rebuilt engine with new electrics, ie plugs, leads, coil, condenser, re-build distributor. 
apart from replacing components one at a time it’s going to be a pain to troubleshoot. 
I need an old fashioned Crypton analyser!

There is no "best oil", although as Pete has said, engien oil is the factory recommendation.

The dashpot is there to slow the rise of the piston on acceleration, speeding the air through it, lowering the pressure at the bridge and drawing more fuel up, richening the mixture to aid acceleration.

Use a thinner oil, and that richening will be less, and your consumption less.   Thicker, if you have  a heavy right foot.      Everything from sewing machine oil to diff oil has been used, try it yourself!

JOhn

think the orig spec was SU a straight 20   and    for   strombergs  engine oil 

i have no idea how thin 3 in 1 goes when hot   seems to resemble cats pee its not an automotive oil and unlikely to be   temperature stable in a engine situation

makes me  wonder  why triumph and others do all the development work to then feel a door hinge/  bicycle oil is better  

doesnt add up 

the dashpot id quite clever in cold oil gives stiffer damping and as the engine warms up gives somewhat less 

but damping piston rise is essential unless you like flat as  a pancake performance and as you then need wider throttles you get

poor MPG combined with poor flat acceleration......and no SMILE

Pete

You describe the fault as a missfire rather than a flat spot, but it depends what you consider to be a missfire. If it just an occasional miss it could be carb related...lean hitching. If it a continuous stutter above a certain revs then it is more likely to be ignition related. I would start by rechecking the points gap and closely inspecting the rotor arm, but my best guess would be that you have got a dodgy condensor. Some aftermarket offerings can be pretty rubbish.

Ian

45 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

i have no idea how thin 3 in 1 goes when hot   seems to resemble cats pee its not an automotive oil and unlikely to be   temperature stable in a engine situation

makes me  wonder  why triumph and others do all the development work to then feel a door hinge/  bicycle oil is better  

doesnt add up 

the dashpot id quite clever in cold oil gives stiffer damping and as the engine warms up gives somewhat less 

but damping piston rise is essential unless you like flat as  a pancake performance and as you then need wider throttles you get

Pete

Thanks Pete

ive some sae30 running In oil so I’ll try that and go over the electrics again and start swapping bits if that doesn’t cure It. 

47 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

doesnt add up 

Pete

I reckon there is a serious misconception that performance improves with a thinner oil as the piston can move faster. 

People do not understand that a lower piston with greater air speed over the jet is a richer mixture, they think piston higher, so needle thinner so more fuel. Wrong, that is the "cruise" position. But still, it keeps us busy.

I have always used 20/50 oil (or nearest I have available) as the viscosity changes less with temps. The SU straight 30 is probably from when that was the triumph recommended oil, before multigrades were the norm.

I have experienced misfire when accelerating  but runs fine when cruising.    As you open the throttle, more air enters the cylinder and the pressure at TDC is greater.  A higher pressure requires a higher voltage to spark across the plug gap and the higher voltage can cause the insulation else where in the circuit to break down.  My most recent occurrence was on my wife's Toyota due to a faulty coil pack.  The previous time was on a Hillman Imp due to over large plug gaps and contamination on the distributor cap.  That was nearly 50 years ago but I knew exactly where to look on the Toyota last year when I experienced the same symptoms.

So.... plugs all look good, nice light biscuit colour, 25 thou gap, Oil changed in dashpots to 20-50, points gap re-set to 15 thou. Compressions checked all 160-169 psi hot. 
Took it for a run and all was ok... for a short while...then when under load it hesitates when the throttle is slowly pushed down, maybe not a full misfire? What about a weak mixture, would that do it, remember I said the plugs were a nice light biscuit colour.....maybe a Vitesse needs builders tea colour!!

19 minutes ago, Gadgetman said:

So.... plugs all look good, nice light biscuit colour, 25 thou gap, Oil changed in dashpots to 20-50, points gap re-set to 15 thou. Compressions checked all 160-169 psi hot. 
Took it for a run and all was ok... for a short while...then when under load it hesitates when the throttle is slowly pushed down, maybe not a full misfire? What about a weak mixture, would that do it, remember I said the plugs were a nice light biscuit colour.....maybe a Vitesse needs builders tea colour!!

Have you tried retarding the timing ?

Paul 

Always wondered if. When setting up an engine with some wear (first do the book/base settings for carbs and timing), then as I understand, timing affects fuel burn/mixture and sort of vice versa (chicken or egg situ?). Is this correct?. If so, just a case of some twiddling to get it running ok/well, rather than spot on?.

For most of us DIYers, then the only way to analyze the state of tune is a rolling road?

More interested than I'm wanting total perfection.

Gadgetman, if you've done work on the head (valves, porting etc) then the better breathing will require a richer mixture. 

I had to change my needles as under acceleration mine went very weak. I installed an air/fuel gauge and all was revealed! 

Iain 

Thanks, yup ported and compression raised ( hence the 169 psi compression reading!) I”ll richen it up a 1/4 of a turn and see what happens then if all else fails it’s rolling road time.  I have a local old school guy with a rolling road who understands strombergs  and has been know to fettle needles to get the mixture right across the range!