Overdrive Wiring Route. Spitfire Mk3.

SpitfireGeorge

Hi Guys,

Done the rear wiring loom but cannot check it yet until I have done the main (front) one. Many years ago, about 35, when the car was a daily driver I fitted an overdrive that I had found on a Mk2 Spitfire in the local scrapyard. I operated it manually using an old choke cable. As I am in the process of rebuilding my car I decided to connect it properly using the standard electrics. I bought an overdrive wiring loom plus inhibitor switch and solenoid from Rimmers and I know where all the connections go from the wiring diagram. Question is is where do the wires physically run? Two connect to the wires from the column OD switch and I assume that the rest of the OD loom goes through the bulkhead and down passed the bellhousing to the gearbox. Is that correct? 

Cheers.

If it's the original type loom, for a D type OD, then there's a relay mounted on the bulkhead behind the coil and starter solenoid, close to the horn relay. From there the loom goes down to the gearbox alongside the reverse light wiring, and the other part passes through the bulkhead then across with the main loom behind the dash to the column switch. On RHD cars, there's actually another part to the loom! The standard OD sub-harness is for a LHD car so it won't reach the column and you need a two wire (black and yellow, I think) extension piece.