Vitesse Lazy speedo !

Bobtaylor

HI, I have a MK1 2L Vitesse, when I drive the car after it has been left for a while the speedo under reads by quite a lot, affect a few miles it "wakes up" and reads correctly. If I then stop and turn off and then restart it works fine.

Any ideas please?

Bob

I think thats most likely to be lack of lubrication and/or wear of the speedo internals. Ive got mine apart at the moment and with a delicate touch and good lens its surprisingly simple to clean and oil. If it is worn dismantling further might be best left to the professionals and anyway it would probably need replacement parts...

yes the lube dries out , its common  small droplets of engine oil is ok to seep into the main shaft 

some use a thick sticky grease on the needle spindle bearings to damp the needle this is where the slow is happening 

if you start to strip it mark the alloy disc relative to the needle  if the hair spring has some wind up you need to know where 

just pulling the needle off can cause chaos with the calibration so best leave that part alone 

a flush with petrol brake cleaner etc will make a  fair cleaner  in small  drips not floods 

pete

Remove the unit from the dash, prise back the tabs on the chrome bezel so that it along with the glass can be removed, undo the two fixing screws at the back of the casing and drop the internals out. 

This is as far as Ive needed to go to clean and lubricate using a fine paint brush and WD40.