Fuel pump removal

Andrew

Herald 1360.

Just discovered today that you cannot remove the fuel pump if you have fitted a high torque starter motor which I did about four years ago.  So as well as having to remove the fuel pump you have to crawl under the car to get at one of the bolts holing the starter on.  Unless I am missing a trick.  All comments welcome.

andrew

My car still has the long original bolt with a screwdriver head on.  But as both bolts are of completely the pump will not come out as it hits the solenoid on the starter. And to make matters worse you cannot use the primer pump once the new pump is on as that to hits the solenoid.  Any suggestions 

Theres seems to be quite a common difference between some original starters being perfectly adequate and others not that Im beginning to think there must be technical problems. Maybe failing windings, worn commutators/brushes or high resistances in connections or starter solenoids are giving the impression that the standard starter isnt sufficient?

The reason I went hi torque starter motor is two fold. 1 it does turn the engine over more efficiently and 2 more importantly it is a pre engaged motor so less wear on the ring gear. Does that makes sense. If not please comment always open to comments 

29 minutes ago, Andrew said:

The reason I went hi torque starter motor is two fold. 1 it does turn the engine over more efficiently and 2 more importantly it is a pre engaged motor so less wear on the ring gear. Does that makes sense. If not please comment always open to comments 

I bought one for the GT6, and the engine certainly rotates much more quickly and fires up more easily - maybe the original starter was worn out; if I still have it, I'll maybe see what condition the insides are in. For the smaller four cylinder engines I'll use the original starters with replacement bushes and a good overhaul. They seem to spin much more easily than the 6-cylinders.

I agree Colin, plus re Spit what a faff having to loosen/remove the starter to get to the fuel pump sounds like a modern remove this n that.

The Hi torque really spins that engine and using the Isuzu (Holden) Trooper version less than $100.