Just joined and looking for a Wedgewood Blue Triumph Herald 1200 or 1250

Hi, 

My name's Mike, I have just joined the Triumph club, though I am also a long term member of the MMOC.

I am looking to renew a childhood acquaintanceship with the Triumph Herald, with which I associate many fond memories.

Sadly the car that belonged to my parents was written off a long time ago by the young couple that acquired her from them. So there is no chance of reacquiring the actual car.

However I can look for one that is visually the same.

So what I am searching for is a Wedgewood Blue Triumph Herald 1200 or 1250

If anyone on here is looking to sell theirs or knows of one for sale I would be very interested to hear about it.

Basically, like everyone, I am looking for the best I can afford, though I would like a roadworthy example in a good state of repair. 

Regarding price, I would like to know what's out there to start with and what people are asking for them.

Hopefully the right car will be amongst them and the seller and I will be able to reach an agreement that suits both of us.

Many thanks in advance for any help that club members are able to give.

Best wishes,

Mike.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Mike

I think you are asking a tough question here, unless we bought the aston martin at the right time many years ago we will probably always spend more money on our cars that what we may get for them if we sell as ultimately its the tinkering and driving we enjoy. There are many guides for buying classics and always number 1 is rust. Get the best bodywork and paint job you can get. When I bought my car it looked like the car had been driven throught an underseal bath (slapped on very thick). My wanrning is, moisture can work its way behind underseal and rot out even faster, so if undersealed check for soundness. Its easier to change a mechanical part rather than bodywork.

I'd suggest you look on ebay and car and classics to judge asking prices and range of condition. Its a tough one to know what one is worth when YOU have a personal desire, but I'd say you may be able to hagle 5-15% off an asking price (I'm no expert on this aspect!). The club website has an insurance valuation condition list

concours                                                                          Project

Herald 1200/1250 saloon 1961-70 1147/4                 9000                     6000                   4500                   1500

fhc & dhc 1961-67 1147/4                                          14500                    9500                   6000                    2000 

Obviously insurance values are generally higher than actual but not sure by how much (I think there was another thread with information on that)

So it really depends on condition

Good Luck

Adrian

Welcome Mike; keep an eye on the classifieds and we'll assist all we can.

There's none that colour even on eBay at present, (although a very nice white 1200 that I'm trying to forget... I don't need another!)

What moggies have you got? I was looking at an incredibly rusty - probably well beyond saving - early Minor yesterday. Always liked them. 

On 03/03/2021 at 00:09, jagnut66 said:

Hi, 

My name's Mike, I have just joined the Triumph club, though I am also a long term member of the MMOC.

I am looking to renew a childhood acquaintanceship with the Triumph Herald, with which I associate many fond memories.

Sadly the car that belonged to my parents was written off a long time ago by the young couple that acquired her from them. So there is no chance of reacquiring the actual car.

However I can look for one that is visually the same.

So what I am searching for is a Wedgewood Blue Triumph Herald 1200 or 1250

If anyone on here is looking to sell theirs or knows of one for sale I would be very interested to hear about it.

Basically, like everyone, I am looking for the best I can afford, though I would like a roadworthy example in a good state of repair. 

Regarding price, I would like to know what's out there to start with and what people are asking for them.

Hopefully the right car will be amongst them and the seller and I will be able to reach an agreement that suits both of us.

Many thanks in advance for any help that club members are able to give.

Best wishes,

Mike.

Triumph Herald 1200 in Wedgewood Blue, 1967, 42,460 miles.
https://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/triumph-herald-1200-in-wedgewood-blue-1967-42460-miles/1400104264?

Paul

Mathewsons had a Wegwood blue recently But I think it was a Vittesse. Nice Vittess on their website for March Sale Though.

Any interstest?  https://mathewsons.co.uk/auctions/auction-dates/vehicles/17029-1966-triumph-vitesse

Pete

Mathewsons had a Wegwood blue recently But I think it was a Vittesse. Nice Vittess on their website for March Sale Though.

Any interstest?  https://mathewsons.co.uk/auctions/auction-dates/vehicles/17029-1966-triumph-vitesse

Pete

Thanks Pete but my childhood memories are of a Herald, so as nice as Vittesse's are it's a Herald that I seek....

I shall keep looking.

As before, if anyone spots one please let me know, many thanks.

Best wishes,

Mike.

On 15/03/2021 at 22:16, Adrian said:

Hello Mike

I think you are asking a tough question here, unless we bought the aston martin at the right time many years ago we will probably always spend more money on our cars that what we may get for them if we sell as ultimately its the tinkering and driving we enjoy. There are many guides for buying classics and always number 1 is rust. Get the best bodywork and paint job you can get. When I bought my car it looked like the car had been driven throught an underseal bath (slapped on very thick). My wanrning is, moisture can work its way behind underseal and rot out even faster, so if undersealed check for soundness. Its easier to change a mechanical part rather than bodywork.

I'd suggest you look on ebay and car and classics to judge asking prices and range of condition. Its a tough one to know what one is worth when YOU have a personal desire, but I'd say you may be able to hagle 5-15% off an asking price (I'm no expert on this aspect!). The club website has an insurance valuation condition list

concours                                                                          Project

Herald 1200/1250 saloon 1961-70 1147/4                 9000                     6000                   4500                   1500

fhc & dhc 1961-67 1147/4                                          14500                    9500                   6000                    2000 

Obviously insurance values are generally higher than actual but not sure by how much (I think there was another thread with information on that)

So it really depends on condition

Good Luck

Adrian

Thanks Adrian, somewhere between £4500 and £6000 seems about right. 

It's the saloon that they had, so although tempted by a convertible -- I think they're even better looking than a Minor convertible but don't tell the MMOC.....

There was one on Gumtree but they wanted about £8500 and, though very nice, it was definitely not concours. I got bthe impression from the wording that they wouldn't budge far from that, if at all....

So head does rule heart, unless one comes along in the price range I mentioned above.....

Best wishes,

Mike.

4 hours ago, Paul H said:

Wow, thanks Paul, just spotted this. I shall have to call him and see if he still has it. I was leaning more to £6000 max but there is nothing (apart from lockdown restrictions) stopping me from going to see it. Then, if it's as it appears in the pictures, I can always make an offer....

Best wishes,

Mike.

On 16/03/2021 at 10:06, Colin Lindsay said:

Welcome Mike; keep an eye on the classifieds and we'll assist all we can.

There's none that colour even on eBay at present, (although a very nice white 1200 that I'm trying to forget... I don't need another!)

What moggies have you got? I was looking at an incredibly rusty - probably well beyond saving - early Minor yesterday. Always liked them. 

Hi Colin,

A 1954 Split-screen four door cheesegrater, up on axle stands due to welding work. One more wing to tidy (weld) up and then she should be ready for paint.

However the chap doing the painting had a dose of Covidand has now been diagnosed with early COPD, so I'm not sure when he'll be able to return to the project at present.....

I like the standard look with a few subtle mods under the skin, for example, she now has vented discs and a slightly 'breathed on' 948 mated to a 1098 box, prop and rear axle, instead of the asthmatic 803 she started with...

I like your white Herald but always found white a pain to keep clean when in regular use.

Best wishes,

Mike.

8 hours ago, jagnut66 said:

A 1954 Split-screen four door cheesegrater,

My youngest, bought one identical (I think a `53?) circa 1982. First and last time I made the mistake of NOT checking that the rear wing was "lead loaded". I found out when the heat from the welder ran all the loading out of a Joint!. Large pool of Lead/solder on the deck, and a very red face!!. He eventually sold it because his Fiance would not be seen in it!. IMV his Marina replacement was far worse!.

This; - Is what I bought:- image.thumb.jpeg.f6c589c1aec96f52c69f9d078b964955.jpeg

Although It currently looks only slightly better than this:-

image.thumb.jpeg.90b117237f23af0ec287db190568e20f.jpeg

On-going from November 2015. Started as need to replace an Outrigger!!.

Hope your search is successful. Mathewsons, regularly get some "interesting" cars through their sales.

Pete

11 hours ago, jagnut66 said:

I like your white Herald but always found white a pain to keep clean when in regular use.

Best wishes,

Mike.

White can be nice; in fact there's a beautiful white Herald on eBay at present and if it wasn't for lockdown and all of the travel palaver I'd be very interested. One of the best I've seen in a long time. £6200 but I suspect it would go for less.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-Herald-1200-Saloon-1966/224385947641?hash=item343e71d7f9:g:h10AAOSw9vdgTjZQ

s-l1600-9.thumb.jpg.c74d0e9a5bf163dc00d420cd6a719e5b.jpg

There's also a blue 948 saloon but Lord what have they done to it? It's a car that used to live locally to me, but those wheels and other mods have taken a lovely family saloon and turned it into some kind of butch racer-type thing, which it certainly isn't. The price has also rocketted since it left these shores.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1960-Triumph-Herald-948/233918549639?hash=item3676a1ce87:g:KkAAAOSwp5FgVMCA

s-l1600-13.thumb.jpg.2cf31ae4c041a0763163144353560f21.jpg

good luck with the search.

Wow. They seem to have gone up in value quite a bit?.

One thing that appears noticeable on most of those examples, is the upper and front area of the door swage line (where the different flash colour is on 2 tone cars) is proud from the swage of the bonnet (noticed this before on other cars, including my Vitesse).

Is this, kind of normal?.

Edited by daverclasper

On 21/03/2021 at 10:50, Colin Lindsay said:

White can be nice; in fact there's a beautiful white Herald on eBay at present and if it wasn't for lockdown and all of the travel palaver I'd be very interested. One of the best I've seen in a long time. £6200 but I suspect it would go for less.

That is a nice one, price is now £5500 (buy it now)......

As for the 948 blue one, I wonder if what's under the bonnet has been changed to match the 'pimp my ride' look?......

Best wishes,

Mike.

13 hours ago, jagnut66 said:

That is a nice one, price is now £5500 (buy it now)......

As for the 948 blue one, I wonder if what's under the bonnet has been changed to match the 'pimp my ride' look?......

Best wishes,

Mike.

I'd be very tempted to make a cheeky offer... but 'Er Indoors wants to know A) why I want another Herald, b) what's wrong with the ones I have, and c) how I'd get that one home during Covid. Oh, and you can add a d), she reckons I'd soon find something that needed fixed and it would be off the road too.

The 948 was a lovely little saloon, a real original family car owned (I think) by an elderly man so it was stock original, never modded or molested, and driven at about 30mph everywhere. It's really not so long since I saw it last, maybe eight or nine years or so ago at a show, but it's really changed since then.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

As an update, I have found and bought the below. 

Her name is Hetty and she's from Wales, I hope to collect her in about a weeks time.

I don't beleive from looking at it in the flesh, so to speak, that the white side stripe is original to this car. The paint finish isn't as good as the main blue colour and it has chipped off in a couple of places to reveal the blue beneath. So I shall get hold of some Wedgewood blue paint and get a bottom half respray. 

Bodily she appears sound, plus the doors don't stick out. I appraised her as used but honest. Overall the blue is in good condition but I may see about getting the whole bonnet resprayed as there is a small dent towards the front that will bug me. 

Underneath the bonnet and the bulkhead has been 'blacked', if I get the whole bonnet done it will be inside as well as out, which will just leave the bulkhead for another day. 

I'd like to enjoy her for a while, before I start stripping her to bits, as I would need to remove the engine and ancilleries, plus all items bolted to the bulkhead first.

So that job can wait a while.

Best wishes,

Mike.

1970 Triumph Herald Hetty.jpg

looks a good start   yes get to know your car for a season before you dive into hunting utopia,  some jobs are best left to the wish/to do  list 

while you have some fun with what you have   the commision plate will tell you if the flash  was original    on the plate as something like 

26/19

pete

Hopefully it will just state 26, it's going either way but it would be nice if it was 'reinstatement' rather than just my preference. 

If it was original it's odd that it's chipped down to a good blue underneath and didn't seem the same quality?....

I will inspect it again and find that comission plate. Is it located on the bulkhead?

It also has a white Webasto, I know Webasto's were fitted from new but white ones? I thought they were all black?

Best wishes,

Mike.

the commission plate has the chassis number followed by suffix for  things like saloon, coupe,conv, overdrive

the numbers below gives main pain code /secondary code  and interior trim colour

should be located on the N/S bulkhead  just above the hook for the bonnet catch

most workshop manuals give a description of all factory numbering locations   for Com plate    engine, gearbox diff 

there is a small baulkhead plate with final body number adjacent to the Com plate

the bonnet is not numbered  the rear tub is often stamped under the overlap seam under the seats 

heres some clues http://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/guide.html

Pete