gearbox cover to tunnel gap filler?

ludwig113

the floor spire clips attach to the metal but the top bulkhead ones are on the cover so that the bolt goes in from the engine compartment side if I recall correctly and I also found the plastic covers have a big gap around the prop tunnel

52 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

Indeed they do, but we were talking about the clips in the fixing kit which don’t.

Doug

OIP.2VwsDGJJrsxDMaYBKOupRwHaFr.jpeg.3a399c38d87bcef14c9d4fc4d085901e.jpeg

They don't as in too small? Originally the spire clips pushed onto the floor edges where the holes are, the tunnel cover went on top, the screws were screwed down to start them and then the plates slipped on over the screws and the whole thing tightened down to seal.

I've found that the screws supplied in some kits these days are too small which is why they need the washers. The screw head should be just slightly smaller than the hole in the plate so that it fits through but when the plate is then moved sideways, the narrower section is held down by the screw head. I presume it was done that way to give some degree of fore and aft movement for a better seal against the bulkhead.

NOT SPIRE CLIPS!!!! :angry: We were talking about the plates with the key hole cut out when John helpfully told us about spire clips and there followed much confusion. :wacko:

My spire clips are original and got re-used, I also had a lot of the original key hole plates so only the screws and the inadequate draught excluder from the kit got used.

Doug

Well, original clips,the long ones. Holding plates original and the hex originals i have plenty. For the seal i used lidl draft excluder when it was on sale. I got some heat proof clear bags to put some felt insulation, sealed and stuck to the inside of the cover. Seams to work well.

PeteH has it.   (Spire clip)

Doug, you're taking about something else. I hope.    A clip that went on the edge of the tunnel cover would need screws inserted from BELOW!    Not so convenient!

AH!  the pic from Colin reveals all!   The gold coloured things are the Spires.    You, Doug, must be reffering to the silver sliding-latch type clips, above in his pic.     Convenient?  I use screws with a large washer around to spread to load.    OK, the screws have to come out to remove the cover, but even I don't take it off that often!    My tiny electric screwdriver deals with them in no time!  One of my best tools!

Bosch IXO V Cordless Screwdriver with 10 Bits & Case - 3.6V 0

And it'll take hex shank drills for small and pilot holes too!

If you are fibreglassing your tunnel cover I suggest that you place the cover on a flat board which has been covered with silicone release paper. You know, the stuff on the back of sticky backed plastic and other things. You can even tape together some sheets of onion board paper together. This should provide a very flat base for your cover, plus should be dead easy to peel off (if you used the correct side of the paper). It won't help if you have a wobbly floor.

8 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Since the Bosch is a quarter the price and does the job, I see no need, Mathew!

By the way, it is 'cordless'.

Do they do them with a Lithium-ion battery yet? I have the same model which has an older tech battery, it holds a charge for about a week! Conversely I have a L-i strimmer which holds a charge all Winter. 

Doug 

3 hours ago, JohnD said:

Convenient?  I use screws with a large washer around to spread to load.    OK, the screws have to come out to remove the cover, but even I don't take it off that often!   

That's what occurred to me earlier this morning - even if the plates lift off over the screws - slide back, lift - you still have the screws sticking up. Can the cover be lifted off over those? Easiest thing is your idea, John - washers or rectangular plates on screws, and just remove them all in the (hopefully) rare event of having to take the cover off. 

I've no idea of who came up with the idea of cutting a hole in the tunnel to fill the gearbox with oil but I had to refill one on Saturday and it was a nightmare - all the rest were refilled from underneath but a twin exhaust system stopped play on the last Spitfire. I did most of it in braille; couldn't get my head down into the footwell far enough. At one point I had my hand so far inside the tunnel I could feel the baby's head. Don't they train children for that sort of thing any more? If they could do chimneys they could do that easier than me. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

At one point I had my hand so far inside the tunnel I could feel the baby's head. 

That, Colin, is why it takes ten years to train an obstetrician.    That and persuading them that wearing a bowtie is trendy.

I went at it another way, estimated where the filling bung is, drilled a SMALL hole and peered through it, with bright torch underneath to see with.    Adjusted the centre of the hole and redrilled with a hole saw.   Now I know, the plug is in the middle of the hole!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, JohnD said:

That, Colin, is why it takes ten years to train an obstetrician.    That and persuading them that wearing a bowtie is trendy.

I went at it another way, estimated where the filling bung is, drilled a SMALL hole and peered through it, with bright torch underneath to see with.    Adjusted the centre of the hole and redrilled with a hole saw.   Now I know, the plug is in the middle of the hole!

Heard the story about the gynaecologist  who re papered and decorated the entrance hall in his house ?

So what’s so impressive about that? 

He did it through the letter box.

• Haha 1

Prostates?    Uroligists can be as weird.

One had a 'disconnection disaster' in the middle of a very difficult operation, and got the contents of the patients bladder in their face.   "Oh, Mr.Soandso, that's disgusting!" said a nurse.   "No, it's bread and butter!"

8 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I stopped one night with a motorist broken down at the roadside; he was on his way to perform an operation at the Royal Victoria in Belfast.

When I asked he told me that he was a Gynaecologist, then added: "it's not as much fun as everyone thinks..."

"Quote" from a rather ireverant Anaesthetist of my aquaintance. "There are 2 things in life that smell like fish?, And one is very definitely Fish".