Spitfire door mirror plinth

The ones on my Herald are not shaped. But from (very old) memory of fitting similar back when. I think the difference was to give some "choice". and the angle can be reversed to suit the car.

Pete

Yup, they'll go either way up according to what gets the mirror to sit at the correct angle. Often it'll be fat side down on a Spit/GT6.  But....

Not all plinths from all suppliers are the same; some are shallow, others have a very deep angle. So it really is trial and error.

sorry yes Near side is kerb side where ever you are even when you drive on the wrong side of the road  Ha !

if bullet mirrors  are on the wing/bonnet then angles are OK but needs telescope to see anything 

and a tip the plastic base often has the expanding rawlplug type of fitting     these can be completely hopeless , I guess its all made to fly off when you collide with 

a little old  pensioner  carrying shopping  

mine got replaced with rivnuts in the door skin and some stainless set screws 

do take a lot of time getting the position viewable , or you end up with a mirror that useless or  a door full of holes  (theres many Tee shirts for that one ) 

Pete

Yes, I made the basic mistake of setting the driver's door mirror for best position and in a brainless moment simply measured the same distance/position on the passenger door for symetry.... doh!! Yes it works but leaves much to be desired. It will get reset when the door gets repainted.

Ah,.. so should the mirror be as far forward (towards the front) on door as possible then?

I am not sure I understand the "telescope" comment but I had blonde hair at some point that may have caused permanent damage...

need a telescope when the mirrors  a long way off  down the bonnet  .............. unless you go to specsavers !!

yes as far forwards as possible but complicated as you need to be able to see into it as well cars with a vent window have more snags in the way 

Pete

I see ....

I was planning on putting bullet mirrors on the doors.

I had one on my first Spitfire but only on the (LHD) driver's side door.

I guess the passenger's side should have a "concave" mirror or something similar to be most useful?

25 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

need a telescope when the mirrors  a long way off  down the bonnet  .............. unless you go to specsavers !!

Not a problem, as long as you can see the signposts to (or in the case of a mirror... from) Barnard's Castle.