Lights shorting around steering column somewhere - GT6

rulloyd

Hi all

My car now 99.9 % finished.  Took it out in the dark yesterday.   Noticed when I turned hard corners the lights flashed off and on, sounding like a brief short.   This happened multiple times and I had visions of fires....

GT6 Mk2 I guess that can only be to do with the indicators on the steering column?

Thank you

Rich

Headlights, Rich? I was thinking the headlamp flasher was maybe shorting out on the steering column and the full beam was flashing momentarily but do you mean you were in the dark and the lights went off, then on again? 

If it's happening on corners, first thing is to check the bullet connectors on the steering column, and especially if tight cornering where you're turning the wheel more than usual - this may be stretching the wiring if it's getting caught in the collapsible joint further down the column. Have a look firstly at where the loom goes in relation to the column and make sure it's not being pulled when you turn. 

Hi Paul.  Looked into it yesterday.  Firstly I noticed the high beam flash cable on the switch was hanging by a thread with wire exposed so I guessed it was that and resoldered connection.  But then I found the flash was instead working the interior light 🤪😀

Then I noticed that one of the cables close to the switch was worn through to the wire.  The switch had had some dodgy soldering before so best to change the switch and cable.  As it happens I have a spare so planning to do that today.   👍