LED Lamps Illegal on Classic's

Gary Flinn

I've just fitted ,what I consider as well made LEDs, to my side and brake lights, on the understanding that the ruling only applied to converting Tungsten Headlamps to LED. This is to do with the lens pattern of trad headlights. The bloody DVSA are moving the goalposts already !

Gav

Change the bulbs, MOT, change `em back. Even better if the vehicle is already exempt anyway. Mr plod/VOSA has more on his hands than checking IF the "correct" lamps are fitted. So long as the light output is the same or better. I see no real issue. Just another BaEUrocratic, load of B-S. (IMHO). I am aware of a real issue with Headlights. but the others are just B-S.

Pete.

Or better still - put it in for the MOT. IF it fails (most testers will not be bothered to look to hard) then change the bulbs and get a free retest.

I spoke to my MT man and he said He is not allowed to disassemble anything to see what is going on.

You need to have special eyesight to see an LED from a Halogen bulb(except for the  colour of the glow)

Roger

think  the problem arises from the lense prism and reflector rely on a single filament light source  

thats not how LED work and it may be bright but stray light is excessive.you can loose the   \___   cut off pattern as the light is multi source not single source

pete

There's another thread on this buzzing about; LED bulbs are not suitable for the lamp units due to an incorrect beam pattern; only filament or halogen bulbs will suit. It's to do with headlamps converted to take LEDs rather than proper LED units. 

Bear in mind, it's fun to fool the MOT man and Mr Plod, until you kill someone; the cyclist you didn't see or the oncoming motorist you dazzle through incorrect lighting.

1 hour ago, Anglefire said:

Round here lots of cyclist have flashing very bright lights on their bikes and seemingly aim them at drivers. Really P's me off!

Hello Mark

But you forget they do not have to abide by the same rules as you in your car(they are Superior!)

Roger 

ps they P me off as well but what I think is strange they all must drive cars so do they get P,d off as well???

The serious side to this, centres around the use of LED`s for Head/Driving Lights. "Side" Running lighting on many "classic" vehicles varies from a dim glow to bright, its purpose is to warn other road uses of the prescence of said vehicle. IMV, as long as the vehicle is clearly marked and to or greater level than that of the O/E, then marginal loss of "directionallity" is shurley of lesser importance? so where is there an issue?. The use of superbright LED`s by cyclists is, as has been pointed out, pointedly overlooked by "authorities". And as far as I am aware unregulated?. For year`s we fitted Extra high level brake lights to cars retrospectively, Now they are a standard feature, and 99% LED to boot. How many times have YOU sat behind the driver with his foot on the brake at a "stop"?. That causes extreme dazzle, even loss of night vision, but again is ignored by "those in charge"?, ( do they ever have dimmer`s for night time use?).

This latest Edict so verges on Bearucratic stupidity IMV as to be laughable. As I said in the first sentence. Headlights, even fog lights, are different, they need controlled spread and direction. And to that end I can see the point of regulation to prevent hazard to oncomming drivers.

The latest modern HID? lighting on vehicles, I personally find can be almost lethal, even on dip, on a wet night?, anyone else noticed that?. And they are fully "approved".

Pete

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PeteH said:

This latest Edict so verges on Bearucratic stupidity IMV as to be laughable. As I said in the first sentence. Headlights, even fog lights, are different, they need controlled spread and direction. And to that end I can see the point of regulation to prevent hazard to oncomming drivers.

The problem we make sometimes is that we're all responsible drivers, and we think everyone else is too. It's not aimed at us, but other drivers have ruined it for all.

• Like 1

I understand the headlamp thing and it's easy for the MOT guy to check, but how are the going to check the approved LEDs have been used on brake, stop, indicator and side lights? Only by looking at the bulbs. Fairly easy on the back of my car but not on the front, they'd have to unscrew the lenses. And are they legally allowed to do that, even on the back? 

Doug

the problems with modern lights is the cranky design criteria outways what the lamp is supposed to do 

stray light dazzle from most crazy shaped lamps is just as appalling .white bright star busts .    

anyone with concerns should just drive 10mtrs from a garage door and look closely at the beam cut off  ...if any 

Pete

1 hour ago, dougbgt6 said:

I understand the headlamp thing and it's easy for the MOT guy to check, but how are the going to check the approved LEDs have been used on brake, stop, indicator and side lights? Only by looking at the bulbs. Fairly easy on the back of my car but not on the front, they'd have to unscrew the lenses. And are they legally allowed to do that, even on the back? 

Doug

It's only headlights and in particular headlights that were originally sealed beam, filament or halogen that have been adapted for LEDs. Properly made, and presumably e-marked versions, are ok. No other LED bulbs are affected.

2 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

Yeh, Gary's newspaper at start of thread says:

bulb.PNG.bdb7fbf4a6f9ed959f9c7972a2de6f6d.PNG

Doug

I've bought LEDs for the side and brake lights from Classic Car LEDs. Their website says that all their LEDs are CE approved.  I'll keep the receipt in case of an argument with my MOT Tester, though I'm sure he won't get excited over it....

Gav