LED Lamps Illegal on Classic's

Gary Flinn

8 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Most owners do it as they think it will help them see further in the dark. I can understand replacing the old sealed beams with halogens, but always thought LEDs were too great a leap for me, other than brake lights and reversing lights.

I've got a lovely set of stainless Lumax spots which I fitted to the 948 for a time and will maybe go on the 1200 convertible to aid the headlamps. I find it easier to have them wired as a completely separate loom from the main loom and controlled by an illuminated switch, rather than putting the extra strain on the main loom. Too lazy to fit relays and run from the full beam switch!

2070921803_ColsCoupe.jpg.b0a0243cf565782316fe1be7ff90b073.jpg

Many years ago as a student, I had a 1967 VW Beetle - 6V - so fitted a 12V battery on the other side of the rear seat and ran a "modern" radio off it and a single spotlight - that was switched by my passenger mate - totally independent of any other lights :)  - To be fair it worked better than the two standard ones by a mile 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

I have come across 4 old sealed beam units. Are they worth keeping or are they only fit for the bin. No idea if they work.

Don't bin them (must be some way of testing them?) Are those still manufactured by anybody today? Purists will always want them, especially for show cars, but I don't know if you can still buy new originals. Halogen conversions everywhere, modern beam patterns, second-hand or odd-stock sealed originals, but after a quick search just now I don't see anyone selling brand new original Lucas 700s off the shelf. There has to be someone.

Ok, will test them later and post results. Just found them in the spares box when looking for any clutch master cyl seals. Though I'd make the space if they were of no use. Now I have to keep them for the next show, whenever that is... or... I could post them out to you!! Standard rates apply. Carriage only otherwise FOC or you could collect them next time you come over the water.

BW,

You don't want to be posting to NI!!!!  £££

There are many on Ebay say they're sealed beam, but closer inspection reveals the unit is sealed, but the bulb plugs in the back. Sounds like you have the same as mine, the bulb don't come out.  My lenses are not as domed as the original so not something for a concours car.

Doug

2 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

BW,

If you do, sink them in potting compost to protect them... we can't get it over here any more, no-one's allowed to post it to us and with all the Garden Centres closed, we can't buy any locally.

2 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

BW,

There are many on Ebay say they're sealed beam, but closer inspection reveals the unit is sealed, but the bulb plugs in the back. Sounds like you have the same as mine, the bulb don't come out.  My lenses are not as domed as the original so not something for a concours car.

Doug

Hah, I am sending a starter (not triumph) to NI. Sold it on fleabay. 

Anyway, 5kg, hermes  day is £6. Royal Mail 2nd class is a little more, not much, first is £25 or so. But Hermes links tracking to the sale, so I am covered.

Most courier services evaporated with eth NI postcode, the hermes was the ONLY non RM choice.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Will the TSSC be in contact with the FBHVC to fight our case.

Roger   if you feel there's a case to represent and you can give any facts about those that work correctly

then for any club take you need to write to the club chairman as it may not get picked up from here

emails in the courier 

Pete

Now: the interesting point I've noticed is:

"Vehicles first used before 1st April 1986 will not be affected by these changes".

Does that mean it's because they would not have had LED lights fitted as standard, and the Gov is taking this to mean that none of them do now? I would have thought that any car fitted with LEDs in a Halogen or filament unit has the potential to dazzle oncoming traffic, so then the age of the car doesn't matter - you can be as easily blinded by a 60 year old car with an incorrect beam pattern as a thirty year old. If they're worried about aftermarket components which don't meet the current standards, what about the same aftermarket components fitted to pre-1986 cars?

5 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Now: the interesting point I've noticed is:

"Vehicles first used before 1st April 1986 will not be affected by these changes".

Does that mean it's because they would not have had LED lights fitted as standard, and the Gov is taking this to mean that none of them do now? I would have thought that any car fitted with LEDs in a Halogen or filament unit has the potential to dazzle oncoming traffic, so then the age of the car doesn't matter - you can be as easily blinded by a 60 year old car with an incorrect beam pattern as a thirty year old. If they're worried about aftermarket components which don't meet the current standards, what about the same aftermarket components fitted to pre-1986 cars?

I take your point, But then even a badly adjusted NON LED lamp can/should fail anyway especially if the spread will cause a dazzle hazard.?

So, the mist is clearing, but still not a full clear view?.

I supose, what it does do, is Head/Driving lamps aside. It should allow that the "riding" lights and or Brake lights wether LED or not are unaffected, and where most owners tend to fit them anyway?.

Maybe, if demand is there, some organisation will/could bring forward an approved LED "set"?.

Pete

The letter states that a further change to the testing manual will be issued shortly confirming the ‘no issue for pre April 86 vehicles’ (not withstanding the need to comply with the beam alignment test so that no one is inadvertently dazzling oncoming road users)

Once the update is with testing stations there should be no problem on the LED/halogen question for any of our Triumph motor cars.

..... Andy 

1 hour ago, PeteH said:

I take your point, But then even a badly adjusted NON LED lamp can/should fail anyway especially if the spread will cause a dazzle hazard.?

So, the mist is clearing, but still not a full clear view?.

No pun intended! It's true that any car can dazzle; my 948 Coupe had a great feature where due to a PO's incorrect wiring, dip had one high beam and one low, and when you went to full beam, it was the other way round... made for interesting driving until I worked it out.

I just think it's strange that the issue has been raised, seems important enough to warrant all sorts of official releases, but then - if your car's pre 1986 don't worry about it! 

(I won't, anyway - I don't have them!) :)

1 hour ago, PeteH said:

Do you read this as saying effectivley Vehicles used before 1st April 1986 are not to be failed, even with LED lights?

Pete

I read it that everybody has been worrying unnecessarily for the past few weeks.

If it had been correct then it would have meant changing the C&U regs of which the vehicle lighting regs are part, and you can't do that in the way it was being proposed.

On 14/03/2021 at 13:24, Colin Lindsay said:

If you do, sink them in potting compost to protect them... we can't get it over here any more, no-one's allowed to post it to us and with all the Garden Centres closed, we can't buy any locally.

Is the good old fashioned "Irish Peat" no good then?.

Pete

My understanding was that modern vehicles had to use approved, E Marked, components including light bulbs.  Older vehicles (pre 1986?) could have non E Marked components fitted as they were manufactured before the E Marked regulations were in place.  However, older vehicles must still meet the MOT headlight beam cut off requirements, I know as my car Spitfire failed after I adjusted the fit of the bonnet.  In theory, I can see no problem with fitting good quality LED headlight bulbs as long as the beam pattern is still acceptable and does not cause dazzle.  As previously stated, incorrectly adjusted bulbs of any description can cause dazzle.

To continue with the drift, modern peat free compost is usually rubbish and very variable as they use anything that is available at the time.  Fortunately it is only half a mile to a local stable.

31 minutes ago, GrahamB said:

To continue with the drift, modern peat free compost is usually rubbish and very variable as they use anything that is available at the time.  Fortunately it is only half a mile to a local stable.

Got some recommended B&Q stuff year before last. Rubbish - more plastic and bits of gravel than anything. I ended up sieving the lot, never again. The Azda stuff that they had last year wasn't too bad. I also have a friend when a norse (refer to other threads for 'Arold drift) who has offered the 'leftovers' but no chance due to lock-down.