Mathew

59 minutes ago, PeteH said:

The last time I had to remove a seized bolt like that, I welded a Larger Nut over the top of the bolt, that gives more purchase than the socket, the heat helps "crack" the corrosion, and saves expensive sockets. even old one`s.👍

Pete

Did try but the position and did not have a nut big enough! Once i got it heated up with the socket and a meter long bar , it shifted then.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peter Truman said:

Do the rotary need machining, they look a little scored.

ineed to buy some new rotors for the daughters Mk2 Spit there downtown the min thickness.

They are ok, quite good thickness. Just minor marks that will soon go once on the road. All blead now and tested round my drive, servo works and brakes are much better. Waiting on some parts from chris witter (water pipe and clutch flexi) before i take it for a longer drive.

I have tried the Disk Skim in the past (25ish years ago). Didn`t end well, got them lined to within 1/10 thou on the boss, but the Disk would not produce a decent surface on a light skim, even with a Ceramic tool. I suspect that heat ageing has much to do with it. As I was scrapping it in the end I took a deeper cut, which did produce a usable surface but the thickness reduction was too great. Likely the only thing that would produce an acceptable surface would be a Grind?. Unlike back then they are cheap enough to replace now.

Pete

interesting price variance Pete how can it be justified!

Last year I brought front and rear rotors & pads for wife's Jag X from a local Jag dealers ebay site cost only $250 all up delivered complete with a tube of hand cleaner. I'd previously asked at our local major rotor supplier (RDA) $250 each front and rear ie $500. I also asked for the daughters Spit $250 a pair, I advised I could buy ex UK and ship for around $150, the local supplier RDA price matched at $130. It pays to be grumpy! 

On 18/03/2021 at 18:35, Pete Lewis said:

as you have done all this work and you  want it to stop i would bin them and fit some Mintex , 1144  have real bite but you dont have to go that far

but green pads give me the stained underpants performance 

Pete

I agree and said the same earlier. In my experience Greenstuff are about as effective as greased weetabix....

M1144s and Stag discs & calipers absolutely transformed my PI brakes and there wasn’t anything particularly wrong with the parts that came off.

7 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

I agree and said the same earlier. In my experience Greenstuff are about as effective as greased weetabix....

M1144s and Stag discs & calipers absolutely transformed my PI brakes and there wasn’t anything particularly wrong with the parts that came off.

I will get some m1144s when i can find some for a good price. I don't drive fast in the 2500s, the fact that i could still stop with partially seized brakes. If i have no stopping problems i will swap over when the pads are worn down, that might be some time as i only do a few hundred miles a year in the car.

15 hours ago, thescrapman said:

You didn't.

they are the same.

Been looking on ebay, before i purchase the hight difference on two i am looking at one said stag fitment 70. Somthing the mgb gt 64. Something. I think the mintex code is mlb40 for the larger and mlb10 for the smaller. Also does anyone know the 1500 spitfire code/size so i can order for my yellow spitfire.

Cheers

Mintex have a bedding in proceedure to cook  in  the initial applications 

Bedding Procedure for M1144 / M1155 / M1166 1) Clean discs with brake cleaner 2) Following initial brake test start with 3 – 4 light applications from 30mph down to 0mph. After these, follow the steps below according to Material. M1144: 6 / 7 medium pressure applications 70mph down to 30mph M1155: 8 / 9 medium pressure applications 90mph down to 30mph M1166: 9 / 10 medium applications 90mph down to 30mph When carrying out the bedding process, do not allow the brakes to drag, do not left foot brake. To do so may result in damage to, or failure of the brake system. Leave the brakes to completely cool. For Further information please contact Richard Barton on 0127485403

Well i have made the purchase. After a run out the other day i found that the green stuff with a nice firm pressure work, but as you say pete no bite. I remembered my puma spitfire on standard brakes with green stuff was very woolie, i did have a spitfire with mintex 1144 years ago and that did have bite. So have ordered for the yellow mk4 and the 2500s, 37 and 53 pounds, not through the shop but a big saving. The puma spitfire does not need them with four pots up front and mgf discs rears it stops very quickly.