SAH Filler Cap Removal

Roy

Has anyone on here removed, or know how to, the filler cap housing from an SAH rocker cover?

I'm about to refurbish the cover but need to remove the filler cap stem portion that goes into the aluminium body of the cover top.

Looks like a press fit in but I don't want to attempt to remove it just yet in case I damage it.

Not sure if the stem is a two piece of single piece tube.

Thanks

RockerCover01.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Roy, did you win this one on EBay the other week? I was watching one but didn't bid this time but plan to get the next one....just to have which I know is a little sad. Mike

Hi Mike,

I bought the cover around five years ago, really ropey condition, still cost me a lot then. All refurbed now. Just need to get the filler cap re'chromed.

Roy

SDC10678.jpg

SDC10677.jpg

Hi Roy,

The neck for the cap is screwed in place. The on on mine was damaged so I had to get it out. It took some doing and I think its unlikely to come out undamaged. However they are made by CEANDESS:

http://www.ceandess.co.uk/Images/CEANDESS%20FILLER%20CAPS.pdf

And I got a new cap and neck directly from them. The caps are used on quite a few british bikes quite often locking but I got a new plain cap.

What paint did you use to refinish your cover? It looks good.

Regards

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thank you very much for the Ceandess info and link. I never knew they existed so will buy a new cap from them.

Will leave the neck in place, no need to remove it now. 

I bead blasted the cover then painted with an etch primer. The finish coat is is high temperature metallic black paint but in reality it looks more like dark grey.

Regards

Roy 

• 4 months later...

That’s a lovely job. You weren’t tempted to silver the strips and logo, as on my Herald version? Ignore the rusty fitting screws, they’re replaceable with Mini rocker screws although I bought some lovely stainless ones a while back for when the car is ready to be driven.

BTW replacement caps are available as gT6chris says, the one in the photo was purchased a few years back and is excellent quality.

post-151-0-88169800-1423992469_thumb.jpg

• 7 months later...