GT6 Trunnion oiling nipple

A bit of a daft question, but can anyone tell me the spanner size to fit the trunnion nipple?  I'm at a loss, nothing I have seems to fit!

Also if I were to replace the front springs with new standard ones, when renewing the shocks, would that affect the ride height?

As usual, grateful for all replies.

Euan

Pete

As far as I know they look to be old shocks and springs, maybe original though that seems unlikely after 49 years.  Apart from that - no further ideas!  Might just have to go for it and hope for the best.  Thought I'd fit Gaz, as on the back, with standard springs.  The car sits well now so wouldn't want to raise the ride height at all.

Sorry can't give any more clues, but thanks for your reply.

Euan

PS Sorry this topic seems to have ended up in the wrong place  -  finger trouble!

are you sure you want adjustables  can be very expensive and a pain to set up  Koni seem the best std ones from what others are using 

getting the bump and rebound normally means they need the lowest setting which seems a waste .

personally ive had gaz and spax   all a pain   too  hard too soft   nothing matches the factory specs. 

Pete

Euan,

I changed the springs and shockers when my car was 5 years old, the PO had been towing a boat far too heavy for the car and knackered the springs. The rear spring was broken and the fronts were 2" shorter than the replacements. The old fronts were standard as were the new.

40 years later I replaced the front again due to a persistent MOT advisory "rusty road springs" The old and the new spring lengths were absolutely identical. So it just depends how the car's been treated, but if everything is new and standard you've got the road height the car's supposed to have.

I now have Gaz shockers from the club shop, non-adjustable pan on the front. They're very good, no more involuntary teeth chatter.

Doug

Doug

I was thinking of Gaz from the shop and now I wonder what setting you have them at, personal preference I know?  My back ones are set at just below halfway and seem OK.  As Pete says, they are expensive and are they worth it and should I change the springs at the same time or not bother?  I'd replace the bushes with Poly comfort ones as well.

Any more thoughts?

Euan

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

are you sure you want adjustables  can be very expensive and a pain to set up  Koni seem the best std ones from what others are using 

I'm running rear Spax on the GT6 and I'm debating changing to Konis - who is the recommended seller (preferably one with no large overheads... )

The car is a little low at the rear (setting of 3 on the Spax) but gets lower in reverse, so low that the mudflaps trail along the ground, so I want to try to cure that.

27 minutes ago, euan douglas said:

I was thinking of Gaz from the shop and now I wonder what setting you have them at, personal preference I know?  My back ones are set at just below halfway and seem OK.  As Pete says, they are expensive and are they worth it and should I change the springs at the same time or not bother?  I'd replace the bushes with Poly comfort ones as well.

I tried the extremes on the shockers and settled on halfway. I could've tinkered a bit more but to be honest the improvement over the old set up was so good I thought I'd leave it until I got used to the ride. And now I've got too much else to do before I get back to that.

As to the springs, you're gonna take them off anyway to install the shockers so check the lengths. If they've been compressed change them.  If they're OK you could clean and paint, but for me that was tedious, time consuming and standard new weren't expensive compared to the shockers.

Doug