Hey Diddle There’s Some Tools at Lidl

Paulfc

Useful, of I didn't have them already.   The IR thermometer, the multimeter (I note it has an 'acoustic' continuity tester,which mine doesn't), and the digital vernier gauge (although at £8, I wonder - mine cost £25!

But the grinder even at £20?   200W - that's the power of a bright light bulb!   Mine is - I forget - but it won't take more than gentle pressure on the work piece without slowing to a standsill

• An axe.... :) 

To grind an axe you need a water lubricated wheel, otherwise it will lose it's temper.

I have the vernier callipers and they work just fine.  When I bought them I didn't expect to use them much but I'm always reaching for them.

C,

10 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

IT DEPENDS WHAT YOU WANT TO GRIND!!!

Man's stuff, steel, concrete, rock, NO!

but plastic, wood, small things, ideal.

db

plastic, wood, any soft shouldn't go on a grind wheel - but I get your drift.

Roger

Casper - Guess what?? Went to Lidl yesterday. Came back with a water lubricated grinding wheel which also has a dry stone. Bought it to sharpen my axe and garden cutters etc. Works well. I think it was on the specials sheet 2 weeks ago. It was the last one in the store but still sealed up.

water lubricated grinding wheel

Ideal for chisels and bench tools.  I have one too.

For Axes, I normally I use a water lubricated canoe stone or axe puck but if the edge is in a poor state my go-to method for axes and similar is an 80 grit angle grinder flap wheel.  Pretty aggressive when new but soon calm down and, if you keep it moving, it doesn't overheat the edge.  It's not just the edge that matters, pay attention to the shoulders behind the edge.   I do like my edge tools sharp and I am soon due to give a session on tool maintenance to the apprentices at the local country park (not the first and I do maintain their tools).

C.

12 minutes ago, Casper said:

I am soon due to give a session on tool maintenance to the apprentices at the local country park (not the first and I do maintain their tools).

C.

Just noticed you're in Swanage; are you close to Corfe and Corfe Castle? Love that place...

14 hours ago, JohnD said:

Useful, of I didn't have them already.   The IR thermometer, the multimeter (I note it has an 'acoustic' continuity tester,which mine doesn't), and the digital vernier gauge (although at £8, I wonder - mine cost £25!

But the grinder even at £20?   200W - that's the power of a bright light bulb!   Mine is - I forget - but it won't take more than gentle pressure on the work piece without slowing to a standsill

The verniers are probably as good as any of the unbranded type. And they all break when you drive over them! Actually, they are very good.

I have a 350w grinder which seems pretty strong. I have used a friends 200W and yes, it struggles if you press on it, but for most things it will be fine. On mine I have a wire brush at one end which is fabulous for cleaning stuff and indeed great for finishing after I have cut a bolt or whatever. But the less powerful bench grinders won't work with a brush.

What people may have missed is under the "car care" bit. They have rechargeable work lights. I recently bought one VERY similar to the lidl one (£7) but mine is a sealey/rolson at about twice that. And it really is VERY good. Think I may pop in and grab a couple more. 

346094_915.jpg

I hate blunt cutting tools but always had a problem getting a consistent edge. Dug out my old chisel sharpening guide last year while working on the hardtop and actually learned how to use it. Always found difficulty getting the first angle prior to honing as I knew the heat of using a dry stone at speed would ruin the temper (joke goes in here??) of the steel. Hope the wet stone will solve this.

No one would buy an angle grinder that was less than 500Watts, my DeWalt is 900W and they can go up to 2,500W!   Are bench grinders underpowered because that's the way they always were?   Why aren't they more powerful?    Ok, they would be more expensive, but 200W isn't enough!

Swanage; are you close to Corfe and Corfe Castle? Love that place...

Closer to the sea.  Note my profile pic.

Further thread drift alert!

BTW, Colin, the first of our Swanage Festivals to announce this year is the folk Festival: 

Swanage Folk Festival to go ahead but jazz festival bows out for 2021 – Swanage News

Swanage Folk Festival

C.