Starter motor replaced

bengaku

Bought a new stater motor from rimmer bros along with bolts washers and a shim replaced this now after five months car wouldnt start took off starter motor and the teeth on motor are worn away how is this possible if all the parts are correct for the motor?

Rubbish quality pinion is one possibility. It should be a hard grade of steel, possibly hardened? If it can be easily marked by (eg) a drill or similar, it is too soft.

I have replaced pinions with genuine NOS from ebay as the one I had on the car had 1 tooth too many.

Can you post a picture?

2 hours ago, clive said:

Can you post a picture?

We're a 9-tooth starter gear; Minis and the like are 10. They'll work but they won't mesh exactly and will skip over some teeth with the corresponding wear; but that sort of wear takes a long time.

Where is yours wearing? If it's not clearing the flywheel it will be worn away at one end, sometimes just a light scoring round the base of the teeth and if it's been shimmed too much it will be positively eaten away. Maybe you didn't require shims or a spacer in the first place? In the last photo there's no spacer at all; the first two photos show what happens when one is fitted and not required, and the Bendix teeth don't clear the flywheel; in the centre photo the actual body of the Bendix is hitting the flywheel, so being drawn too far forward.

DSCF1959.jpg.13b930cff67876c88b582c7f7f51936e.jpg DSCF1960.jpg.aa90c85ee45165e684681d0c097da986.jpg OEMstarter.jpg.2e4f2a5634cc051debf2b0fa74db829c.jpg

40 minutes ago, clive said:

Rubbish quality pinion is one possibility. It should be a hard grade of steel, possibly hardened? If it can be easily marked by (eg) a drill or similar, it is too soft.

I have replaced pinions with genuine NOS from ebay as the one I had on the car had 1 tooth too many.

Can you post a picture?

16161463602876752138728176851279.jpg

27 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

We're a 9-tooth starter gear; Minis and the like are 10. They'll work but they won't mesh exactly and will skip over some teeth with the corresponding wear; but that sort of wear takes a long time.

Where is yours wearing? If it's not clearing the flywheel it will be worn away at one end, sometimes just a light scoring round the base of the teeth and if it's been shimmed too much it will be positively eaten away. Maybe you didn't require shims or a spacer in the first place? In the last photo there's no spacer at all; the first two photos show what happens when one is fitted and not required, and the Bendix teeth don't clear the flywheel.

DSCF1959.jpg.13b930cff67876c88b582c7f7f51936e.jpg DSCF1960.jpg.aa90c85ee45165e684681d0c097da986.jpg OEMstarter.jpg.2e4f2a5634cc051debf2b0fa74db829c.jpg

Yes I was thinking that myself I dont have a spacer didnt realise this till I was actually taking off the starter motor a few days ago but I'm sure when I went to refit without shim in did nothing and if i fitted a spacer it will just pull the it further out 

I would take some measurements, colins pictures will help you what you are trying to do (difficult to put into works) But really you want a little clearance, so the teeth fully engage when the starter is used. Looks like yours has been engaging just on te very end of the teeth.

7 minutes ago, clive said:

I would take some measurements, colins pictures will help you what you are trying to do (difficult to put into works) But really you want a little clearance, so the teeth fully engage when the starter is used. Looks like yours has been engaging just on te very end of the teeth.

So maybe I need a spacer?

1 hour ago, clive said:

It may also be that one is hitting the flywheel as it rotates, so has been spaced too far towards the front of the engine, but there's no marking further along the teeth to show that it's actually been meshing, so you may be right that it's just engaging the tips. Removing the spacer will mount it further back towards the gearbox, so it will clear the flywheel teeth, but then it has further to go to be drawn forward to engage the flywheel. The one in my centre photo is too far forward so when pulled into the flywheel on starting, it's actually hitting the flywheel ring gear with the body of the Bendix. You need to find the correct distance in between!

29 minutes ago, poppyman said:

Do you have your old starter? The spacer might still be on it... It has been done before.

Tony.

No old stater was binned I got a spacer on ebay so just now need to order a set of longer bolts as ones on rimmers are 1 1/2 inches need at least 2 inches 

16161463602876752138728176851279.jpgDSCF1959.jpg.13b930cff67876c88b582c7f7f51936e.jpg

Bengaku's pinion                                                                                                                                        Compare that with Colin's pic of a worn pinion.

On Colin's the teeth are worn to the base, but Bengaku's are only worn at the tips, as if they were barely engaging.   There's no ability to set the distance of the starter axle from the flywheel, but did you use the correct size of bolt?   If they were smaller than they should they the starter could move away from the flywheel, and allow this.

John

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

16161463602876752138728176851279.jpgDSCF1959.jpg.13b930cff67876c88b582c7f7f51936e.jpg

Bengaku's pinion                                                                                                                                        Compare that with Colin's pic of a worn pinion.

On Colin's the teeth are worn to the base, but Bengaku's are only worn at the tips, as if they were barely engaging.   There's no ability to set the distance of the starter axle from the flywheel, but did you use the correct size of bolt?   If they were smaller than they should they the starter could move away from the flywheel, and allow this.

John

I ordered bolts from rimmer bros along with shim starter motor and washers so would assume they are correct length bolts I mean why would they sell smaller makes no sense then again I shouldn't assume 

1 hour ago, thescrapman said:

You don't mention what car the starter is fitted to.

is it a 1500 perchance?

and is the engine original or from a dolomite? which had a different starter and flywheel (profile says herald 1360 / spit 1500)

1 hour ago, DanMi said:

and is the engine original or from a dolomite? which had a different starter and flywheel (profile says herald 1360 / spit 1500)

Sorry thought I had silly me it's a 1976 spitfire according to rimmers the motor fits all spitfires 

my point there was that the 1500 dolomite has an identical engine but used a unique pre-engaged starter so the ring gear on the flywheel does not have the "chamfers" on the rear edge to guide the starter motor pinion in. If you have this ring gear that could cause the wear seen (though I strongly suspect it's just poor manufacture), easy to tell just look through the starter motor aperture at the teeth on the ring gear it should have a pronounced v to the edge of the teeth at the rear. Plus it could explain why you had no spacer.  with cars this old never assume that they are as they left the factory