Alternatives to 129077 block tap, not a plug?

AidanT

Are you posting subliminal messages?

Yes, I think the rad type does fit, but they are really are too small if there is a buildup of crud. And undoing a tap can be difficult (I have sheared a few) so a plug is usually the easier to use option. At least you can put a socket on it. And how often is it used? 

When I got my Herald it had the brass tap type, not the radiator drain type. It had become a little unreliable, easy to catch and open. Went out one day and after a few kilometres car started to overheat, tap was open! Cold water kindly supplied by nearby bistro. I ordered a plug!

Did you know - the taps are simply a brass wedge set into the main body, with a hole through - turn it to the correct orientation and the water flows, otherwise it shouldn't. The seal is made by the spring at the bottom, pulling downwards so that the wedge seals, and it's tensioned by a washer and split pin. No rubber seals! The spring being metal rusts through and the tap is therefore useless; sadly, no-one supplies replacements that I'm aware of. I suppose, at that price, there's no point in repairing. Unless I can find a suitable spring in a box somewhere... but does anyone know the thread size?

F33FFE68-1860-4125-B98A-65E954A9D127_1_105_c.jpg.8399eb86146abf56b6bd62b4e1327481.jpg

On 19/03/2021 at 13:16, Colin Lindsay said:

Did you know - the taps are simply a brass wedge set into the main body, with a hole through - turn it to the correct orientation and the water flows, otherwise it shouldn't. The seal is made by the spring at the bottom, pulling downwards so that the wedge seals, and it's tensioned by a washer and split pin. No rubber seals! The spring being metal rusts through and the tap is therefore useless; sadly, no-one supplies replacements that I'm aware of. I suppose, at that price, there's no point in repairing. Unless I can find a suitable spring in a box somewhere... but does anyone know the thread size?

F33FFE68-1860-4125-B98A-65E954A9D127_1_105_c.jpg.8399eb86146abf56b6bd62b4e1327481.jpg

those are available new part no 61478 but I had 3 from Moss and sent them all back as they leaked that was a few years back so maybe they have sorted the problem

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-61478

On a local trading estate we have a small spring manufacturer/retailer, I just go down there with my bits showing him what is needed he vanishes for a couple of minutes comes back with a S/S replacement spring I give him $5 and all fixed!

I have fixed several block coolant taps and have a couple of spares ready for any engine rebuilds.

The spring is the only thing that can fail in the tap assembly, so they are always restorable.