Triumph Spitfire MKIV dash top foam

ScottMk

It is a thin, but rigid cover, so no repairs to the old one (unless the cracks stick up? That would need addressing)

I found I had to release the existing dash top from the dash to squeeze the new cover on far enough.And I cut away an inch? of the old cover/foam where it sits under the scree seal. That may be because my screen seal was tight to the dash pad, and I was not brave enough to push hard (I didn't want to gamage the new cover) 

I had repaired the old dash pad, filled the cracks and covered in vinyl leathercloth. but after 5 years you could see the cracks under the vinyl. The cover has made it look really tidy.

On 20/03/2021 at 09:35, Badwolf said:

Try Park Lane Classics.

http://www.parklaneclassics.co.uk/product_300-005.htm

I don't know if Owen does the foam but might be worth a phone call. 

I used new vinyl from Owen at Park Lane for my GT6 Mk3 dash top. The old foam and vinyl must not be removed, they are irreplaceable. Owen advises carefully filling any serious damage in the old top, then gluing his new vinyl over the top of the old. I'm very pleased with the result.

Nigel

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DVD3500 said:

Filling it with what..?

Choice of filler isn't critical apparently, I used acrylic knifing putty successfully, but normal car body filler would also work. One important tip from Owen I forgot to mention above is to use Bostik clear adhesive, not contact adhesive. Bostik allows for a little adjustment while applying the new vinyl covering, and it's more heat resistant, less likely for the vinyl to lift with sun shining straight onto it.

Nigel

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nigel Clark said:

Choice of filler isn't critical apparently, I used acrylic knifing putty successfully, but normal car body filler would also work. One important tip from Owen I forgot to mention above is to use Bostik clear adhesive, not contact adhesive. Bostik allows for a little adjustment while applying the new vinyl covering, and it's more heat resistant, less likely for the vinyl to lift with sun shining straight onto it.

Nigel

I heard expanding foam was good for filling. Gorilla wood glue is a foaming adhesive so may be ideal.

The vinyl overing I glued on 5-6 years ago was quite thin.  Which may be why the cracks showed through after a year or 2. But a thick vinyl material may be better. Or even a thin (1-2mm) layer of closed cell foam first. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, clive said:

I heard expanding foam was good for filling. Gorilla wood glue is a foaming adhesive so may be ideal.

The vinyl overing I glued on 5-6 years ago was quite thin.  Which may be why the cracks showed through after a year or 2. But a thick vinyl material may be better. Or even a thin (1-2mm) layer of closed cell foam first. 

Park Lane vinyl is quite thick but it's still important to fill any cracks accurately and sand smooth, as smooth as if preparing bodywork for paint. I can still just about see a defect through the vinyl on my recovered dash top, but that's my fault, as I didn't sand the filler quite enough. Other areas where I prepped better are perfect, with no sign of the old damage through the new vinyl.

Not sure if I would want to try PU foam, as it may be harder to control than applying filler with a spatula.

Nigel

• Like 1

On 20/03/2021 at 06:20, clive said:

It is a thin, but rigid cover, so no repairs to the old one (unless the cracks stick up? That would need addressing)

I found I had to release the existing dash top from the dash to squeeze the new cover on far enough.And I cut away an inch? of the old cover/foam where it sits under the scree seal. That may be because my screen seal was tight to the dash pad, and I was not brave enough to push hard (I didn't want to gamage the new cover) 

I had repaired the old dash pad, filled the cracks and covered in vinyl leathercloth. but after 5 years you could see the cracks under the vinyl. The cover has made it look really tidy.

So my cover has arrived today. Did you have to do any mods to the existing dash top to get all the cut outs to line up perfectly 

As above, I couldn't get it between the old dah pad and the screen seal.

In the end I took the dash to/pad off, and trimmed the edge just under teh screen seal. That sorted it. My issue may have been down to a slightly twisted screen seal, which was sorted at the same time