Dirty books

Mathew

looks like you would trip over it 

did they extend it to get the gas away from the following depression due to the tailgate vortex  

its not very va va room   looking   you could  reverse into a mud bank and cork it up............... its a downham thing  

Now I doooooooo. Feel Decrepit. Took my test Jan 1961, in YeS!, A Triumph Herald, (British School of Motoring). First time Pass. And the (BSM) instructor drove me to the bus station to ride home!. The "emergency stop" was spectacular, involving braking in the wet sleet, just where the bus`s habitually stood and left oil traces. Never mind me, I think the Tester had brown trowsers, but he did complement me on "my control". Didn`t tell him I learned "control" driving old WW2 Trucks converted to tippers in a Quarry from age 15. Little Red Licence book with a Green (or was it white?) "ticket". Full Licence. Happy Bunny!. My "ride" for the next 2 Years, was a 100E ford thames van 1955, with the rear seat from a scrap Wolsely in the back, which folded flat to sleep on, when too pissed to drive home.

Pete

Motorbike test past april 1986, the examiner warned me prior to the emergency stop as the other examiner had been run over the week before, they used to just step out into the road with there hand up unannounced! Passed first time. The car test may 1988 past first time . The examiner said he was going to fail me for being too hesitant but when i pulled out into traffic and put my foot down to fit in he knew i could drive, another first time pass.

Bikes, rd50 , yb100, gpx250, gpz600r, gsx550, gpz600r, z400, gs400, dt175mx, gpx750, ntv650, x7, zx6, vfr400. Not all in order and a few i have prob forgotten. 

Cars, started with a mini 1000 and have lost count now over 60 but probably under 100! 14 spitfires! 2 gt6, 3 2000's, only one 1360, tr7.

3 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I've only had 17 moderns in my life, but I've always kept cars for a long time. I get comfortable in them!

Problem was i normally bought end of life cheap cars, if it had an mot that would do me, i then drove it to death, sometimes i was lucky to sell on! Most were for the scrap yard . Back in the days you could climb over and get a part to keep it running from the scrap man. Only in more recent years have i got newish and now a new one (be it a year old now). Not that impressed with new cars though!

2 minutes ago, Mathew said:

Not that impressed with new cars though!

I detest them. Full of electronic gadgets - you can run your bath from your car on the way home from work - yet the interior trim is really cheap tacky plastic and chrome of the type you used to get in 1960s transistors radios. There's no soul any more! I do miss rummaging round scrapyards with a spanner and a screwdriver - you went in looking for one part and you bought half a car as the bits they had were better than the bits in yours... but now you have to go to the counter and ask, and some guy in a full Haz-Chem suit goes out and removes the rear wiper for you.

Saw the most beautiful Saab 93 convertible on Saturday last, being dumped under the Scrappage scheme - I'd have given it another ten years on the road. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ian Faulds said:

I agree Colin, Happy days 40 years ago, £20 in my pocket and go around all the yards. Happiest weekend for me once I was rebuilding a p6 rover, got 4 doors, interior seats , back bumper and alternator all for £50. 

We used to have a bloke called 10 pound tony, as the bits you had in your hands were 10 pound cash! Happy days.

Front bumper on my Midge was rescued from a semi submerged Austin 7 in a stream at Adversane Breakers near Billingshurst.  The car must have been in there for at least 40 years, but the nuts and bolts undid without a struggle.   That'll be £3 mate.

I miss the old scrap yards... balancing precariously 3 or 4 cars up trying to get the part you need, or crawling around under said pile..... 

The donor Herald for my Midge came out of a scrappie,  £50.  Good body but chassis was MOT fail.

Until recently we still had just the one "Old Time" style scrappy about 30 Min Drive away. Sadly, I understand he had a BIG fire, and most of the stock was gutted. Some years back I had my Punto "T" boned in Morrisons car park. Rang and asked?. Yes I have a door and wing. Took the 14year  old Grandson, he thoroughly enjoyed himself taking small bits off cars!. Got the wing and Door for about £30. and a shed load of nut bolts and bits of trim etc.

Pete

Our local scrap yard was great, had a damged mgf vv, they cut the bits off i needed to repair and i unbolted some other sparea for a few quid, very helpful. Once i was in there taking off some bits when a damaged mx5 was coming in, 60 pounds for the seats that i unbolted as soon as it hit the floor, went in my gt6. Sadly the man who run it died and his daughter took over but she decided to sell. The next time i went there the new "management " "only deal in BMW's", everything else sold scrap metal! . As i drive past now you don't see cars just a big pile of metal strips.

2 hours ago, Mathew said:

Our local scrap yard was great, had a damged mgf vv, they cut the bits off i needed to repair and i unbolted some other sparea for a few quid, very helpful. Once i was in there taking off some bits when a damaged mx5 was coming in, 60 pounds for the seats that i unbolted as soon as it hit the floor, went in my gt6. 

You need to be able to walk round; try shopping in Tescos from the front door only. You know what you need when you go there but you miss all the impulse buys that you never knew you needed. I have two great local scrappies I use, and it's not just asking for the part you want, but what you see as you walk round - radiators and radiator fans, heater units, seats, lights (especially hi-level rear ones); things that look as though they'd fit a Herald or other Triumph but that you'd never spot otherwise.

Have you noticed now when you ask for a part you have to supply a reg number! My spitfire has ford puma parts, hulux parts, mgf parts, rx8 parts, citron zx parts. Difficult to cross reference, no reg numbers, they don't come up with the spitfire one. Its almost like they don't want you to change things!

This is one of the grubbiest I have; found it in the garage roofspace a month or two ago. The others are old typed pricelists I've had for many years now; don't cry over the prices, or the availability of repair sections... we were discussing Stan Walters on another thread recently, but what happened to Andrew Stone?

JK.jpg.e9bdef625557e25108fc1261063e97b2.jpg AStone.jpg.a65d097562ea0c26cd1ec8e1656deedf.jpg  SW.jpg.60c8f93785d35be0a4e78f438d18189c.jpg

8 hours ago, GrahamB said:

Interesting that the MGF has a whole manual for the electrics, my Spitfire wiring diagram is one page in the owner's handbook !

Its quite a big book and as the mechanical one is thicker it would be too big as one book.