Stainless braided hose - or attempting to get the clutch working properly 🤔 then doing it twice cos you got it wrong in the first place!

Mathew

2 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

so whats changed have you repositioned the ring gear or not 

Pete

The ring gear, taken off with a bit of heat, flywheel let to cool. Heated ring gear and it slipped on. Then left overnight.

Anoying used my last exhaust gasket, will i get away with some firegum joiner as the gasket is still stuck to the manifold.

Will still be imobile as just put the order in for the stainless water pipe that runs under the manifold with chriswitter .

1 minute ago, Pete Lewis said:

ok sorry thought the test you showed was on the old flywheel ok sorry thought the test you showed was on the old flywheel 

so its getting there ....again 

hope you ordered a new olive they are a funny size like 12mm   wont find one in BQ

Pete

Definitely new olive, nut and adapter were fine, new hoses and DPD dispatch, hopefully sent before end of play monday fingers crossed 🤞 

Just looked back at the photo's. The ring gear was already pushed forward when nigel had it, i should have noticed. Lesson learned, and the punishment is to redo. So at least i did not push it forward when bolting the starter on. Why it was only just on we shall hopefully never know. Nigel i am still glad i got it 👍

image.png.d7de1588a83c9a0e9c4d4dfa3e4f2642.png

• Mathew changed the title to Stainless braided hose - or attempting to get the clutch working properly 🤔 then doing it twice cos you got it wrong in the first place!
51 minutes ago, thescrapman said:

I wonder if you could have pulled it bck into place with a G-clamp bit by bit round the outside through the starter hole.

herd that being done in the past 

Went on easy with heat. Gearbox is back in. Just connecting everything up.

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

so get off here and get spannering  !!!!!

Pete

Gone as far as i can, all together apart from starter motor, the water pipe under the manifold (hopefully posted tomorrow) and exhaust that i need to get manifold gasket.

20210418_162206.thumb.jpg.61a12d6276a901dbebbfb8cf4aec593e.jpg

Even got some new pedal rubbers fitted!

Interesting thread never thought starter ring could/would move on flywheel.

when I replaced daughters Spit starter ring I waited till the wife went out, flywheel in the freezer for an hour, and starter ring in the oven at 200 plus for 1/2hr the flywheel onto concrete patio and dropped hot starter ring on it just fell into place no assistance read and immediately locked in place.

24 minutes ago, Peter Truman said:

Interesting thread never thought starter ring could/would move on flywheel.

when I replaced daughters Spit starter ring I waited till the wife went out, flywheel in the freezer for an hour, and starter ring in the oven at 200 plus for 1/2hr the flywheel onto concrete patio and dropped hot starter ring on it just fell into place no assistance read and immediately locked in place.

Never had one either, never changed one before. Did think about freezing the flywheel to aid but no need, as you found it fell on, in position. You do need make sure you put it the right way round.

19 hours ago, Mathew said:

20210418_162206.thumb.jpg.61a12d6276a901dbebbfb8cf4aec593e.jpg

Anyone else intrigued what the after market rocker switch below the gearstick's for?  Original rear window heater pull switch died/fitted as a replacement?  Electric fan over-ride?

4 hours ago, Mjit said:

Anyone else intrigued what the after market rocker switch below the gearstick's for?  Original rear window heater pull switch died/fitted as a replacement?  Electric fan over-ride?

If you know let me know, i have not got a clue. It is connected but what it does i don't  know. Maybe an ejector seat!

Took for a short run to blow the bubbles out, as i pulled out from the drive second gear was notchy. Run round the block , lot lighter clutch.  Changed easy, easy to get out of gear . Once warmed up second fine. Success. Almost, no overdrive. Got home a quick check found i had not conected the wires to the gearbox in the engine bay!

Checked levels and went for a medium run, to the petrol station then round a big loop with country lanes, big roads and villages. The temp stuck at between a quarter and halfway. Stopped for a photo and look at my phone, temp half way but soon dropped back to normal. Everything ran as expected apart from no overdrive! 

I now know why it is called blowing out the cobwebs! The vents opened up and lots of old leaves and dust went all over me.

It was hard work but it now selects without wobble and slides in and out of gear smoothly. 

Just got to get the overdrive working again.

20210423_154307.jpg

• Like 1

That's real progress, you must be pleased! My TR6 gearbox is always notchy going into second when cold and I remember a mate's TR4A from years ago was the same.

Seems a common feature of the big Triumph 'box but they carry on working fine for years and years like that.

Nigel