Triumph engine numbers

JohnnyB

Hi,

I'am trying to identify a Triumph 6 cyl 2500 cc engine. My search so far has shown that according to the engine number "MG80xxxE" it could be an engine from the Triumph 2500. But with the "MG" engine number it should be a "PI" MK2 engine. My engine has a twin carburettor. There are some differences between both engines, e.g. compression.
Can someone please help me with this task?

Regards,

John

The engine number refers only to the block; so in the past the original may have been exchanged for a reconditioned or better replacement. MG, MM and MN are all 2500 blocks, but do you know if any work has been done to yours? I know that some owners found the injection system troublesome so went back to carbs, so your may well have been rebuilt back to twin carbs with a replacement head and manifold, plus other required parts whilst retaining the original PI block; alternatively it could be originally a twin-carb system that has been built onto a replacement block that has the MG number.

Thanks for your reply.

I have no reliable information about the origin and rebuild of this engine. It sounds very likely from your guesses that this engine was assembled from the "PI" block and a replacement head of a "TC".  The replacement head has a casted part number 313248 on it.
Next I need to determine which carburetors are installed. According to the literature it should be SU HS6 - BDU. Unfortunately there is nothing written on the carburetors as is the case with my Stromberg in the Herald.

10 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

Thanks for your reply.

I have no reliable information about the origin and rebuild of this engine. It sounds very likely from your guesses that this engine was assembled from the "PI" block and a replacement head of a "TC".  The replacement head has a casted part number 313248 on it.
Next I need to determine which carburetors are installed. According to the literature it should be SU HS6 - BDU. Unfortunately there is nothing written on the carburetors as is the case with my Stromberg in the Herald.

Your cylinder head is correct for the ME block according to Chris Witor's tech data sheet:

https://www.chriswitor.com/datasheets/head_applications_chart.pdf

This head was used on 2.5PI Mk2, some TR6 and late GT6s.

Nigel