Herald 1200 to Delorto

geoff121

Hi

Has anyone tried fitting a Delorto carb to replace the Solex?

This is the only carb I have found so far that fits a 1200 Herald, unless someone has a Solex B30 PSE1 for sale, or can lend for a week so that I can eliminate from the list of faults.

Quick note to Pete, checked valve timing and all correct, thanks.

Cheers, Geoff

Dont have either so cant help with a transplant, glad the cam timing is ok

this has to be something silly going on or a missed culprit

Having changed the head and unscrewed and refitted the ancilliaries its something basic

you may find a second hand ex spitfire twin su a easier find

pete

Geoff.

Pete is correct flagging up the twin SU's.

Not only are they more abundant and easier to set-up & overhaul; but the jets / tube range on Delorto's is not as extensive as they are with their more popular cousin the Webber.

This may cause you problems on setting-up and with Delorto carbs as well as Webber they do need to be spot on to bring the best out of them.

Just a thought.

Regards.

Richard

I have emailed bill at Rarebits and am waiting for a happy reply.

Pete, this is a long and sad story. When I bought the car it was running rough, I and two friends, both qualified motor engineers, thought it dirt in the carb but after hours of trying to get it to run smooth I bought a re-conned carb from the Carb Hospital in Essex. No change when fitted. Then found that the compression pressures were 200psi so ordered a new head and fitted it. Car now runs better at over 1500rpm but doesn't want to know at under this. All the time I am double and treble checking everything. The I realised that the re-conned carb was my own, chap had sent it out the same day he received it and I found glass balls and loads of carbon with varnish from old fuel inside it, together with no ball bearing under the accelerator pump jet, don't know if it was missing in the first place. The carb is now being ultra sonic cleaned and will have it back on Friday but have no confidence in it, together with no idea of the ball size.

So here we are, months later and the car runs little better than when I bought it.

all ideas gratefully received, Geoff

Ah, that explains how it could be the carb still.

A few years ago they were common, I sold a near new one for about a tenner. But like so many parts they have got harder to find and prices have shot up. Ho hum.

There should still be plenty of those carbs about though.....I think a viva Anglia (or similar) used the same carb.

If youre cleaning it make sure the small airways from the top cover face are clear right down to where they exit next to the side in the bore to the throttle plate,

if you have doubts about the valve ball try to close the service and disconnect the pump lever

the old slow run jets I know you have checked but notorious to having a greenfly stuck inside

they dont strip so getting the inside of the 45 jet is not always reliable

have you checked the jets fitted are correct to the vehicle spec

Iwould love to have look but youre a bit too far away, but I was in NA last week for a holiday nearby

sodds law

pete

I converted my 1200 using the Stromberg from a 13/60 and a Speedograph manifold adaptor. The only adaptation required was an elongated bracket for the choke cable and lever. It ran very well up on the standard 6J needle and chrome pancake filter until the car was dismantled for a short / fast restoration. 7 years ago. It’s still in bits.

post-151-0-90675900-1438244611_thumb.jpg