Spigot Bush Fitment.

Paul Amey

Paul, where did you get the bush from? Can you accurately measure the bush o/d and the crank i/d? 

Iain 

PS, the gurus on the forum will tell you if there are different size bushes but I think they are all the same on 6 pots. 

Ok, this will probably get me shot down in flames. The puma engine does not normally have one as its front wheel drive, however makeing it rwd with the rx8 gearbox i wanted to put one in. So i got a good size one for the gearbox and drilled the hole the flywheel side. Then to fix it in situ i chemical metalled it in place. Gearbox spins nice and smooth with the clutch in. It only spins against the bush when you use the clutch. 

Perfectly acceptable to have the spigot bush in the flywheel if that suits the length of the gearbox input shaft. The important thing is that it is concentric.

The Triumph saloons have an oilite mounted in the flywheel from the factory and I have sealed ball bearings mounted in the flywheel on both my Vitesse (Toyota gearbox) and GT6 (Mazda gearbox).
8AB54190-932C-4601-ABE6-36D3A98B22B1.jpeg.294c35c2b28a53fbd58e2fd9179821dc.jpeg

Works fine.

Is that the 5 speed RX8 box Mathew?

Nick

1 hour ago, Nick Jones said:

Perfectly acceptable to have the spigot bush in the flywheel if that suits the length of the gearbox input shaft. The important thing is that it is concentric

I put a Sierra roller bearing in the flywheel as I have a T9 gearbox conversion. Works fine. 

Iain 

1 hour ago, Nick Jones said:

Perfectly acceptable to have the spigot bush in the flywheel if that suits the length of the gearbox input shaft. The important thing is that it is concentric.

The Triumph saloons have an oilite mounted in the flywheel from the factory and I have sealed ball bearings mounted in the flywheel on both my Vitesse (Toyota gearbox) and GT6 (Mazda gearbox).
8AB54190-932C-4601-ABE6-36D3A98B22B1.jpeg.294c35c2b28a53fbd58e2fd9179821dc.jpeg

Works fine.

Is that the 5 speed RX8 box Mathew?

Nick

Looks nice, I did not have the rx8 flywheel, only the puma one. I used oilite bush fitted into the puma flywheel, like the triumph. Thats the problem when you make a custom system, the bushes are cheap and last well. Never see the rx8 flywheel. At the time I was thinking of fitting the rx8 gearbox to the puma engine i could not find anyone who had done that combination, some people must of as there was an adaptor plate on the market. It was rare though as you could pick up the gearboxes for 40 to 60 pounds. Most people were using the ford type 9 gearbox but prices of them were through the roof, gone were the days you could pick them up for 150. As you say fitting Central is important and either type of bearing works. I prefered the bush idea .

Hi All, right I have taken measurements and had an engineer around to check them as well. I suspect the measurements that Paul (68 Vitesse) quoted were for the I/D of the spigot bush. When we measured the bush I/D they were very similar. The measurement for the I/D of the crank was  0.752 in  The measurement for the O/D of the spigot bush was much the same. As in it pushes in but has no resistance. Do we still think Loctite will hold this? The bush material I am told by my Engineer is Phosphur bronze, can this be tinned with solder as an alternative to Loctite?

Paul