Aley Roll over bar

kend

Hi Guys

I have a Roll over bar the Padded type which is just out of the box but not new. I have done a trial fit and it appears not to be a fit to the wheel arc. the bracket welded to the tubes are further away from the panel than I would expect.

It is suppose to fit my spitfire 1500 but I would have to do a serious bit of bending to the brackets to get a good clamping joint.

can anyone supply a photo of a fitted roll over bar to show me how its done. in the area concerned.

maybe I have the wrong one.

Thanks for any help.

Depends what you mean by 'further away'?  Similar to John's comment, after all these years the basic body tub may have shifted and if the rear wheel arches have been replaced or the floor repaired then again the dimensions may not be quite correct.  I had a similar situation on my GT6 roll bar (Jigsaw) but found once I had started to tighten bolts up it all came together, not least if you make sure you are using good sized washer/packing pieces on the exterior side of the wheel arch.

Hope that helps

Dick

Depends what you mean by 'further away'?  Similar to John's comment, after all these years the basic body tub may have shifted and if the rear wheel arches have been replaced or the floor repaired then again the dimensions may not be quite correct.  I had a similar situation on my GT6 roll bar (Jigsaw) but found once I had started to tighten bolts up it all came together, not least if you make sure you are using good sized washer/packing pieces on the exterior side of the wheel arch.

Hope that helps

Dick

Morning Dick, I just wondered if when the Jigsaw cage is fitted if there is room for the rear upholstered side panels and inertial seat belts.And if you have any pictures of it installed I'd really like to see them. Thank you.

Sorry for the thread drift.

John

John, 

Hopefully there is a picture attached!  

I made my own side panels based on the tatty originals and they fit fine.  I also fitted 4 point harnesses (the price was right) and they have proved less awkward than expected.

Dick 

Thank you very much Dick. I'm really pleased the interior can be retained. I have a Jigsaw cage and I'll offer it up. Will report back.

Thank you once again 

John

Thanks for the comments.

I wrote to safety Devices who make this rollover bar and they were very helpful. they sent me a picture  of the roll bar in the correct place and it appears I had

incorrectly position the rollover bar against the wheel arches. as I have a bare tub it did seem the right place to put  it.

Picture if attached shows where the roll over bar should have been placed.

Thanks again. 

post-1200-0-62489500-1438638732_thumb.jpg

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

I'm always worried by that design of ROPS  - Roll Over Protection System.

The bottom ends of the main hoop are bolted to the front of the wheel arch in single shear, meaning that the bracket and arch panel would act like bolt cutters on the fixings.

They would better be mounted on horizontal feet, bolted to the floor.

And were backing plates to be welded to the outside of the wheel arch panels included in this kit?    The brackets are at least twice as thick as the wheel arch panels, which will tear through without reinforcement.

See the MSA Blue Book, Sectiion K (Safety): https://www.msauk.org/assets/153191commonregulationsforcompetitorssafetyk.pdf

People say, Oh, that's for racing, you don't need that degree of construction for a road car.

No?   How is a road accident less dangerous than a competition one, when the latter occurs into gravel traps and armco, not walls and street furniture?

John