Advice please . Door respray

Paul H

Hi , with the warmer weather I can start to continuing respraying a spare passenger door . The door has been completely stripped as window guides are being replaced.

What’s the best approach for applying the top coat which is cellulose in my case . Do I add the quarterlight  before cellulose spraying . Do I add winding gear , window before cellulose spraying .

Window weather rubbers going on after painting . Any advice to a newbie welcome 

956E6F3A-6588-440E-8193-F58D83A82A9C.thumb.jpeg.3c63be1785570064400f6b6c68212043.jpeg

Paul 

If it was me, I'd refit the door and gap it, refit the quarterlight, gap the quarterlight properly to the A post, and then remove the assembly and respray (door with quarterlight fitted in final place.)

All of the other ancillaries can be fairly easily fitted into a resprayed door with no damage.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

If it was me, I'd refit the door and gap it, refit the quarterlight, gap the quarterlight properly to the A post, and then remove the assembly and respray (door with quarterlight fitted in final place.)

All of the other ancillaries can be fairly easily fitted into a resprayed door with no damage.

Hi Colin , if I fit the quarter light then spray I will have to fit the window ? Here’s a pic of glass removal and the position of quarter light .

06F941A7-22FE-4582-B3AE-AA1FC6B9377E.thumb.jpeg.a29645a0ec1d0186988665f279a2506f.jpeg

I like the idea of prefitting and sorting the gaps before spraying .

Paul

If I'm correct (it's a while since I did my last doors) you can drop the glass down into the door and just leave it sitting on the door bottom; just mask off the areas that paint may get in through. When it comes to fitting the glass again, get it into the quarterlight runner first, slide it up a bit, then fit the other runner to the other edge, slide it up sufficiently out of the way, keeping it in the channels and right to the top, and prop it there with a length of wood. When you fit the winder mechanism let it drop down until you can engage the sliders / rollers.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

If I'm correct (it's a while since I did my last doors) you can drop the glass down into the door and just leave it sitting on the door bottom; just mask off the areas that paint may get in through. When it comes to fitting the glass again, get it into the quarterlight runner first, slide it up a bit, then fit the other runner to the other edge, slide it up sufficiently out of the way, keeping it in the channels and right to the top, and prop it there with a length of wood. When you fit the winder mechanism let it drop down until you can engage the sliders / rollers.

Thanks Colin . I’ll be able to do a dry run to check out before cellulose spraying 

Paul 

Don't forget overspray, this can be bigger or smaller depending on what type of spray equipment. Not just the stuff that sticks to the bit you don't want, the dust that will find its way into and onto everything. Save alot of clearing up time by covering up what you don't want to be cleaning up.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Paul H said:

One thing I have learnt is to spray the room with a generous dose of fly spray . Vacate and return 15 mins later . Less chance of a foreign body landing on new paint 

Paul 

Can't you mix it in with the paint? Keep them off the bonnet as you drive... :)

• Haha 1

With the weather nicely warming up it was time to spray the Vitesse door with 2 coats of 2k Epoxy primer surfacer using my new gun which for a cheapie I was well impressed with the result . Purchased from Spray Guns Direct with 1.8 tip and a 2.0 . I used the 1.8 for this job. 
https://www.spraygunsdirect.co.uk/index.php/a-n-i-f1-ns-budget-gravity-spraygun.html#sthash.L5gbjzk6.dpbs

Spraying is completely new to me as well as body filling and it’s been a time consuming baptism of fire , this being the first time I’m satisfied with the result 

ACD00D2A-C829-4FF3-8CA4-7052CAE28943.thumb.jpeg.f63b459a84bfe8e67da2279ce29c6968.jpeg

0E3F61E4-B711-4A93-8301-8B4C6E7BC02F.thumb.jpeg.6dbdc3ea0435932135baa98e480dbc14.jpeg

The door needs to cure overnight and ready for next sanding session tomorrow 

I can recommend the gun and the HB Body 989 Epoxy system 

Paul