Spark plugs

Mathew

I have some denso w16ep-u fitted.1617204728311590358032200425334.thumb.jpg.c241abb8d578e2e7a75789aa8cb072b8.jpg

I know a bit rich (hs6 su) i can see the previous owner had tried champion n12 and n9 in the past.

16172048758474070162829931993095.thumb.jpg.99874ee00957be9652977a8ae16b9478.jpg

i have always used ngk bp6es in the past, 5 if i want it hotter.

should i stay with the denso or change to the ngk? Not a hard used car. Anyway going to lean up the mixture half a flat at a time till the colours right.

Also consider multi-electrode plugs.

Our Triumph engines run better on Bosch WR78 or NGK BUR6ET, better starting, smoother idling and sharper throttle response. And these plugs seem more resistant to fouling.

Nigel

PS: Multi-electrode plugs also last for many tens of thousands of miles before needing replacement.

19 minutes ago, derekskill said:

Would you recommend these for a Spitfire 1500, Nigel?

Derek.

Yes, the Triumph OHV 6 and 4 cylinder engines are basically the same architecture. I've used multi-electrode plugs in a Spit Mk3, a GT6 2 litre Mk3, a modified 2500S saloon engine and a TR6 PI. All showed the same benefits.

I'm sure they would work well in a Spit 1500.

Nigel

Nigel/Nick, I have been considering these for a while but the listings on ebay are a tad confusing, suitability, pricing etc. Without trying to put you on the spot, do you have a supplier you can recommend please? I would probably prefer the Bosch although NGK are sound. Thankyou!

Derek.

Presumably the R in the BUR6ET reference means they are resistive plugs? Is there a non-resistive version, as I've always avoided the suppression / resistive NGKs for my GT6 based on advice from this forum (and elsewhere)?

Thanks,

Gully

It’s getting harder to find non-resistive plugs, especially multi-electrode, as the vast majority of the national fleet now requires them.  I’m not sure what the problem is supposed to be using them on the conventional ignition systems....

The other potential issue using multi-electrode plugs with conventional ignition is they will come gapped for high-energy ignitions and ideally need the gaps shutting down a bit. Or fitting electronic ignition.

Bosch non-resistive triple
W7DTC

As above but resistive
WR7DTC

Both the above getting harder to find now, especially non-resistive

The easy to find ones are the WR78 which are quad electrode and resistive. I have set working just fine in my GT6 with points ignition...... They’ve proved pretty fouling resistant too as that engine had a real oil problem until the rings seated.

Nick

• Like 1

if the R is resistive ive always found that corks up the low HT we rely on 

fine on a modern with over 32kv but we as std  dont have that and generally around 22kv 

having a resistive   R suffix   spark plug has in my experience caused many a misfire 

its a love em or hate em thing 

Pete

Early Heralds not being the most difficult of engines are easier to keep running; I've got a new set of the old pink Champion plugs that they were originally supplied with and will probably use those on one of mine, but I was recently recommended Brisk plugs, apparently very popular with motorcyclists - the Brisk NR15S plugs fit the Heralds and other four cylinders. They cost me about a fiver each. Sometimes the older, simpler technology is better for our engines.

4 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

if the R is resistive ive always found that corks up the low HT we rely on 

fine on a modern with over 32kv but we as std  dont have that and generally around 22kv 

having a resistive   R suffix   spark plug has in my experience caused many a misfire 

its a love em or hate em thing 

Pete

I’m with Pete on this one, I’ve always steered clear of resistive plugs after past bad experience.

...... Andy

When I changed from BP6ES to Bosch W78's there was a noticeable improvement . Going up my (well it's not mine but in the complex where I live) multi-storey car park at low revs it was always a bit jerky but with the W78's it's nice and smooth.

Iain

Thankyou one and all for all the advice, very much appreciated! The gspark website is fantastic, I've ordered a set of W7DTC's to try and I've finally found a supplier for an oddball size for a 2-stroke strimmer belonging to 'Er indoors. (She bought it at B+Q but surprisingly they don't stock any spares.)

Derek.