Spark plugs

Mathew

On 31/03/2021 at 19:27, Pete Lewis said:

hobsons choice again  many sing the praises of bosch

but unless you pull a plug after a long steady cruise a bit of soot is inconclusive 

thn theres all this 

I got to a solution in the end with the insulation problem. I now run on OEM champions. These have a coating on the insulation in the interior of the plug and don't get contaminated 

Aidan

14 minutes ago, derekskill said:

Spot on, thankyou Iain, Nigel and all, for your replies! It will be interesting to see how this works out, it's certainly worth a try.

Derek.

Don't expect a major transformation, the improvements are subtle, but are definitely real.

Then there's the advantage that M/E plugs are maintenance-free for tens of thousands of miles. No need to re-gap, and very unlikely to foul, so no cleaning either. M/E plugs actually work out cheaper in the long run.

I wouldn't go back to single electrode plugs.

Nigel

• 2 weeks later...

Some feedback regarding this thread...

I've finally got round to fitting a set of W7DTC's and have to say there IS a noticeable all-round improvement. First off, I was able to push the choke in quicker after setting off, no engine "hunting"; the car is definitely smoother, it pulls better and tickover is smoother too. Well worth doing and thankyou all once again for the advice. The other point to make is about "The Green Spark Plug Company ", absolutely brilliant to deal with, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them, outstanding service!

• Like 4

• 11 months later...
15 hours ago, SpitFire6 said:

Spark plug, Worst one. BUR6ET.
10,000 miles.

Changed to Y single type with 1.1mm gap.

Addition of castor oil & crap DIY PCV system caused this I guess as compression pressures OK. 

Never had a plug anything like that bad. You say DIY pcv system and 'castor' oil, what do you mean? 

Iain 

My DIY Positive Crankcase Ventilation system sucked a lot of oil into inlet manifold. Apparent when coming off the motorway.
I add 33mL of Castor oil to the fuel tank occasionally to make people believe I'm running R40 engine oil.🤣

But, over half the plugs looked old but fine.

What is it? Hope its not an aluminium compound?