Rough Running

jamesdennison

Ok - will disconnect before the pump - that makes sense.

Yes I torqued in the sequence shown in the manual .... and when I took the head off to deal with the nut failure I de-torqued in reverse order.  I torqued in stages rather than all at once so 20 / 40 / 60.

Garage has vented now but its kids football tomorrow so probably Thursday before I have another go.

The fact it is two adjacent cylinders does seem to suggest gasket failure from what I've researched.

Gasket was Payen and dry fitted.

I'll increase the tappet gap.

Feeling like a bit of a saga this.

if you stick a bolt up the hose make sure its got some shank or the fuel will work  down the threads 

i often use a drill bit ( not the pointy end)  an 8mm normally fits .

something odd as your now have worse results than before you refurbed the head     

not looking good   ....time for much head scratching   .....i doubt pistons would give such low results   , more the heads not seated 

Pete

LOL there was me looking for a technical fix to the fuel issue.  I had a two litre milk bottle overflowing with petrol at the time and a bolt within grasping distance so I made do.

I've read about using compressed air to test for leaks.  My neighbour has a compressor - worth a try?

If the head need to come off and taken back to the workshop so be it.

you can make up a adaptor from an old spark plug   screw it in and pressurise ,  see where it comes out 

needs to be on compression stroke or valves will be open 

are all the tappet adjuster looking roughly about the same amount of thread on each rocker ???

just thinking outside the box for a while ,, stuck valve etc 

Pete

More petrol fun tonight.  Pulled the hose before the tap and it came out of both sides ... which is what I was prepared for, but then the hose split too so I had petrol coming from three places at once.  Didn't lose much, but not fun.  Luckily the wife was out.  Think I'll get an in line fuel on/off tap from e-bay.

I see your logic Pete - I'll have a look at the rockers tomorrow night.

Tappets gapped to 0.025  No change to test results.

I shone a torch into the holes where the manifold fixes to the head and I can see all the valve stems moving up and down so they're not sticking.

Air pressure test is a bit inconclusive as I couldn't get a good seal on any of the cylinders.

So I've taken the head off again as I seem to be getting nowhere.

All the pistons are still nice and clean, I can't see any scoring in the bore and they move fluidly when I turn the engine by hand.  The oil I squirted in is still there.

I'm going to borrow an engineers ruler from work and see if the block is flat - but looks straight and clean to me.

All I can think of now is trying a different gasket from a different supplier.  Is there a product I can use to help sealing?

.... and the washers are squashed flat so I need to replace those, but I intend to reuse the nuts unless someone can convince me otherwise.  I've been told this is ok as they're not stretch nuts.

I will win!

Deformed washers are the down fall in head clamping , but not untill its been out and about a bit

you dont want any sealant its slippy stuff and the head gasket wont get a grip.

I doubt a straight rule will divulge much it has to be a payen type gasket with the fire ring recess ( Dont believe a copper based one would work )

try washers from canley classics

or a local bolt factors, get a high tensile set, not too hard or they crack.

Dont know what to suggest the fact its worse now may point tp the head needs a light skim

Which is unusual , these heads are normally fine

have you tried a small amount of petrol on the crowns see if it runs straight though into the sump ?

but change the oil if it dilutes it

Just read all this backwards , you re used most studs,

can you run a die nut down to clean the threads

and just turning the clock back you had rythmical puffs from the breather, and the valves held a liquid test ok before you had it refurbed,

are we heading back to thoughts on a piston but even with no rings I would expect better than 20psi

All a bit concerning this is not coming together

pete

Head was skimmed as part of the refurb Pete.

I wondered about putting a bit of petrol down the bore, worth checking .... and I've got loads of the stuff!  (now decanted out of the milk carton into a proper petrol container I must add!)

I'll change the oil before running anyway.

I used to work round the corner from Canley's.  I'll give them a call and get another gasket + washers.

Away for a few days so will be next week before I get another go.

are we heading back to thoughts on a piston but even with no rings I would expect better than 20psi

Tonight's test results

1       2      3     4    5     6  

160   172  159  68  50  122

I re-ran 4 and 5 a few times and tried turning the engine over for longer - but consistent result.

I turned engine over with the rocker cover off too - all seemed to me moving smoothly.

post-472-0-34349400-1445548608_thumb.jpg

post-472-0-40505000-1445548614_thumb.jpg

daft question all 6 do go up and down ???

all rockers operate.  ie  depress the valves .

4-5 seems a common link to low results

then there,s the fume puffing to throw in, not normally due to HG problems , but tends to be  ring  blow by

the problem appeared quite suddenly, after a normal run 

it time for a holiday 

Pete

Put petrol down the bores.  Very slow leak past the pistons, certainly not running straight through.

10mm of petrol took 10 minutes or so to go through.

Doesn't seem catastrophic as surely there must be a bit of room for heat expansion and everything is cold?

Not quite a normal run Pete - circa. 150 mile round trip to Silverstone Classic in the rain.  Was running fine then seemed to go out of tune on the way home.

Like Pete I just re-read it all again, number 4 doesn't seem to have improved much and number 5 has gone from not very good to disastrous. I would be suspicious of the work that's been done to the head and do the valve leak test again. Also peering closely at the last pictures there does seem to be some debris in the bore recesses which could cause a problem. After that I'm running out of ideas. Andy Cook had a timing chain gear lose some teeth and it went from running OK, to not so good but carried on and got him to the Isle of Wight. Just a thought?

• Like 1

I had a leak from the timing chain cover a couple of years ago so changed the chain at the same time.  Possible that a problem has developed.  Can somebody explain how that could affect the compression results so I can get my head around it?

I'll pour petrol in the upturned head again and check there is a good seal.

Head is already off so I can't rerun the test with a plug in 5 - but I see where you're going with that.  It does make sense that there is a problem between 4 and 5.

Did my results with petrol in the bores sound ok?  i.e. a slow drain through over 10 mins?  I'd like to eliminate issues with the pistons if I can as I don't have space or tackle to take the engine out - that would be game over for me and I'd have to take elsewhere.

Thanks for the help so far - I'm learning a lot, but will be nice to crack this.

If the chain had jumped some teeth then efficiency is down as opening and closing the valves will be out of sync with where the piston is , so i would expect a drop in pressure as the breathing is compromised

the petrol on the crown sounds reasonable to me , thers no set expectaion around for this but 10mins

I would think is pretty fair., and as all were the same , it dispels 4 and 5 as duff

pete

• Like 1

I checked the timing with a strobe light as part of my tuning efforts when the problem first happened, but I guess if the chain has slipped then the datum I'm checking to would be wrong.

.... that said the timing wasn't out.

I like the lateral thinking.  Is there an easy way to check?  I can see the pistons!

Its not unkown for the damper ring withnthe marks on looses its bond and moves around the base pulley

so ign can be incorrect but it wont affect compression just performance

doing a valve timing check with the rockers off is a bit involved with dial indicators on the cam followers to measure the cam lobe lift points

pete

Making progress.

I leak tested the head with petrol and it p'eed straight through the suspect valves.  Just taken it back to the head shop and the gaffer has vacuum tested it. No vacuum at all on 5 and poor readings on the others.  He didn't do the work the first time round but will do it himself this time.  He's told me they always lapp the valves but don't necessarily test them afterwards, but he will this time.

Fingers crossed this is the cause.

..... and the TDC mark on the pulley lined up with TDC for 1 and 6, which makes sense as I guess they're opposites for compression / exhaust.

now youre into the frustration of relying on those who take your money,   

and give you a bum job,  thats  a pretty  basic cock up and totally inexcusable 

do a leak test when it returns

pete