Wiring for Dummies (me) a bigger fuse box...

ludwig113

Hi all,

If there's one thing i'm really not good at it's wiring, i can follow diagrams and trace faults but that's about it.

But i would like to separate out the GT6 wiring into different circuits or at least give each wire a fuse..

I have the old loom to practice on before i get a new one.

Is it just a case of separating the 11 wires going into the back of the old fusebox and giving each one a terminal ? which ones would be ground etc?

Thanks in advance for any help.

paul

IMG_20210402_145050.jpg

IMG_20210402_162207.jpg

Numerous posts on here. Search for fuse box. 

Aidan's is a good guide...

https://forum.tssc.org.uk/topic/2452-fuse-box-replacement/

And my humble effort is here...

https://forum.tssc.org.uk/topic/2623-intersting-clutch-master-cylinder-piston-mod-nose-to-tail-1972-spitfire-mkiv-restoration-upgrades/page/32/

I also suggest that print off this colour GT6 wiring diagram if you can, which I found invaluable, even though mine is a MkIV Spitfire.

https://forum.tssc.org.uk/topic/5969-wiring-diagram/?tab=comments#comment-74931

There is also one on page 2 of Aidan's thread. I haven't compared the two.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ludwig113 said:

Hi all,

If there's one thing i'm really not good at it's wiring, i can follow diagrams and trace faults but that's about it.

But i would like to separate out the GT6 wiring into different circuits or at least give each wire a fuse..

I have the old loom to practice on before i get a new one.

Is it just a case of separating the 11 wires going into the back of the old fusebox and giving each one a terminal ? which ones would be ground etc?

Thanks in advance for any help.

paul

IMG_20210402_145050.jpg

IMG_20210402_162207.jpg

Your right about basically just separating the out going wires onto different fuses although you could decide to divide up circuits even further and run completely new separately fused supplies to individual items, for example: having a fuse for each brake light.

Another issue is the supply side of the fuses. This can come from different sources ie permanent live/switched live and you'll need a way for one to connect to multiple fuse inputs. Making little wire links is one way but its fiddly, cumbersome and unsightly so hopefully you can find a better way....

• Like 1

Mathew - I'm not exactly sure what it is that you have on top of your battery but it would appear to be a useful idea to have a master breaker (please read that correctly - any typos on the other web site) in the positive lead from the battery to protect everything from a short before the posh fuse boxes that we have retro fitted. A short before the ignition switch comes to mind. Is there a 'standard retro mod for this'? If so, would it protect sufficiently to prevent the wiring trying and what ampage would it need to be? After all most direct from the battery gadgets (radios, lights, usb adapters) have inline fuses for protection.

BW,

Have you not got one of these? I got one off Ebay £6 it was a bit rough, poorly cast. One Twiddle Day at HQ I noticed club shop ones were a lot nicer, but £15 :o  I didn't fit the bypass fuse which is to keep the radio settings. 

isolator.PNG.ef7b3396e512fbefd95a08941d9c4f84.PNG

Doug

6 hours ago, Badwolf said:

Mathew - I'm not exactly sure what it is that you have on top of your battery but it would appear to be a useful idea to have a master breaker (please read that correctly - any typos on the other web site) in the positive lead from the battery to protect everything from a short before the posh fuse boxes that we have retro fitted. A short before the ignition switch comes to mind. Is there a 'standard retro mod for this'? If so, would it protect sufficiently to prevent the wiring trying and what ampage would it need to be? After all most direct from the battery gadgets (radios, lights, usb adapters) have inline fuses for protection.

This was while i was working on it. Stripped out all wires that were not needed, then  placed in a box with a lid as close to the bulkhead as posible. A bit lazy as i could have remade the wires into a custom box but i was just trying to get it running. Like most bits on the car , it works but could do with improving and tidying . I have a list in my head of improvements and this is probably in the teens. With the 2500s progressing well, hopefully ready for this season after my next set of four. The yellow spitfire is this years main project, spraying will commence once the warm weather returns. The puma spitire is running and will be used this year for run outs around the norfolk countryside, next year will see a string of improvements on it. Like all things will have to manage my time carefully to keep all 3 triumphs on the road.