Jack or Jill .. Low-Profile .. High-Lift .. Trolley

Bfg

Trolley Jack

I'm moving home again in a couple of weeks time and this time will have a patio ..large enough to work on my car / motorcycle / boat bits / build a trailer - YIPEE  (..albeit it'll be outside in whatever the weather happens to be). And because I'm tired of crawling around on the floor - I'd like to invest in buying a Low-Profile High-Lift Trolley Jack and a couple of car ramps.  The plan being to lift the car front or back, on the trolley jack, and slip the car ramps under the wheels &/ axle stands .. hence the reason I need a high lift.  

I'm sure I can find a pair or two of car ramps cheaply, but a decent quality trolley jack is another matter, and there really is little point in buying junk / something that may fail dangerously &/or then not be manufacturer supported / unable to repair.  An aluminium trolley jack would be really nice because it'll have to be carried in and out of the house every day, but that's not absolutely essential, not least because I only need a jack of 1.5 ton capacity ..so even in steel it ought not be a monster.

Any recommendations, / links / advice on what to look for / warning not buy certain brands / someone in East Anglia who has one they no longer need. ??

Thanks, Pete.  

https://www.weberuk.com/shop/trolley-jacks/standard-trolley-jack/wdk20/

I have one.

Originally I had a weber, and it was left under a car port by me for about 15 years with regular use. It was bought secondhand by me. But regularly getting wet it got leaky, and I just replaced it with a sealey low entry jack. However, the release on the sealey was nowhere near as h=good, it felt clunky. And so after a few years my lovely wife bought me a new weber jack.

Quality is exceptional. They are used by the MoD and many tyre companies. 

I have looked into this before. I found one issue to be that very few (if any) are TRUE "High Lift" jacks. In fact some struggle to get the wheels far enough off the ground to work effectively!. I have an (Elderly) Sealy 3 tonne, which will just about get high enough to get axle stands under My little P107 Daily. If I want more clearance I am then using blocks on the jack to get a "second bite".

The only one I can find with a Very High (720mm) lift is this one:- https://www.sgs-engineering.com/tjh15-professional-long-chassis-trolley-jack?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6YCA5vPj7wIVDNPtCh13wQytEAQYASABEgISHfD_BwE.

Pete

8 hours ago, Bfg said:

Any recommendations, / links / advice on what to look for / warning not buy certain brands / someone in East Anglia who has one they no longer need. ??

Thanks, Pete.  

Be careful buying second-hand, some owners may have replaced theirs due to problems or wear and I've worked under ramps that were so worn they came down, albeit very slowly and with much creaking, as you worked. 

The one in your link is interesting; it certainly seems to have a very high reach.

Yup, another vote for Halfords, I've had mine 3 years and it does the job. Scissor jacks are dangerous and the main reason I bought the low profile trolley. For the same reason  I wouldn't buy a 2nd hand. It is heavy, but that is quite reassuring, again I'm not sure I'd trust an aluminium one.

Doug

Would a pair of these ramps be of any use 

The long ramp is detachable and the first level is 12 ins extending to 17 ins . Very robust and very heavy . I’m localism to you . pm me if of interest 

C4976453-87C9-4240-837E-30ABC002E792.thumb.jpeg.cc32256fbc55a79751e3a93b656759f4.jpeg

6624F404-732A-4802-BCBF-D0CA0875E863.thumb.jpeg.cbf470da6450938d0c38b08e2dc37c5f.jpeg

Paul

1 hour ago, Mathew said:

Halfords jacks definitely good, at least they were, only just thrown mine after over 25 years of service.  It still worked but had started to leak. 

..should have just replaced the seals..

It seems that their old tools are better than the new ones.  At one time tools were designed and engineered as a new  and innovative, but still keenly-priced product, nowadays it seems they are face-lifted clones made cheaper with thin metal pressings and numerous plastic bits. From what I gather, Halford 'Professional' socket set and spanners are the only thing which still have a good reputation, everything else appears to be a Chinese import at Halford's prices.   

I can't think of a company whose products have become better quality and easier to use, for an every keener price.  It seems most companies offer but a shadow of their former quality.. Case in point are Sealey,  Clarke tools, and Draper,  where I would prefer to buy a 20-25 year old product than their new model.  In fact, there's a Sealey trolley-jack on ebay now.. it's brand new but got damaged in the post (!) and the plastic foot release pedal has snapped off. Brilliant recommendation I don't think. Conversely, their old trolley jacks were slim but very well engineered to last for decades.  Likewise My Dad's old orange coloured Black & Decker drill soldiered on for years, as did his 'Workmate' ..in fact they still do. 

Shit I must be getting old ! 

Still have the jack, its in my pile of scrap metal, I don't know where i could get seals for it. I have the orignal first workmate! Its got scars from use but it still works as it should! I'm not quite old enough to have bought it new. I was given it by my next door neighbour 30 years ago! He thought it too old and did not do use it. Its been on work sites and used ever since. My dad has a collection of old drills from the 50's he used for building work! And they all run. Being pre sds they are limited in usefulness but can still bang a hole in a wall.

2 hours ago, Paul H said:

Would a pair of these ramps be of any use 

The long ramp is detachable and the first level is 12 ins extending to 17 ins . Very robust and very heavy . I’m localism to you . pm me if of interest 

C4976453-87C9-4240-837E-30ABC002E792.thumb.jpeg.cc32256fbc55a79751e3a93b656759f4.jpeg

6624F404-732A-4802-BCBF-D0CA0875E863.thumb.jpeg.cbf470da6450938d0c38b08e2dc37c5f.jpeg

Paul

Love the pit in the background, i would definitely use those ramps, have though about getting a set in the past. I filled in my hole in the garage, kept getting in the way! Either the hole was just where i wanted to put a support or the car was in the wrong place, i had not fully dug it out, just left the space when i made the slab.

Hello All

I also need a new trolley jack as all the cheap ones are leaking now!!

Has anybody used these people and what about this jack?

I do not use a trolley jack that often as I have mechanical 4 post lift and 2 scissor jacks to lift weight off the wheels when at working height before chocking up

I would like one that is not as heavy to carry etc(getting OLD)

1.5 Ton Aluminium Trolley Jack (sgs-engineering.com)

Roger

32 minutes ago, Mathew said:

Love the pit in the background, i would definitely use those ramps, have though about getting a set in the past. I filled in my hole in the garage, kept getting in the way! Either the hole was just where i wanted to put a support or the car was in the wrong place, i had not fully dug it out, just left the space when i made the slab.

The pit has a 4 ins wide recessed ledge . Filled in with 2ins planks , works well

FDC6448C-D934-4B61-8B53-050241A2EDDE.thumb.jpeg.3e0d0297247708cd4087b3a5491cf8c2.jpeg

Paul 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rogerguzzi said:

Hello All

I also need a new trolley jack as all the cheap ones are leaking now!!

Has anybody used these people and what about this jack?

I do not use a trolley jack that often as I have mechanical 4 post lift and 2 scissor jacks to lift weight off the wheels when at working height before chocking up

I would like one that is not as heavy to carry etc(getting OLD)

1.5 Ton Aluminium Trolley Jack (sgs-engineering.com)

Roger

I bought 2 of their cheapie jacks £24 each . 1 failed after 13 months and the repair kit would have been more than the original cost . The second one is working but not as efficient as the Aldi equivalents which have 3 year warranty 

Paul

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

Yup, another vote for Halfords, I've had mine 3 years and it does the job. Scissor jacks are dangerous and the main reason I bought the low profile trolley. For the same reason  I wouldn't buy a 2nd hand. It is heavy, but that is quite reassuring, again I'm not sure I'd trust an aluminium one.

Doug

Doug the quality aluminium ones are great. But are expensive.

The cheap ones are nasty.

I think the trouble is many people are expecting high quality but at ebay "cheapest first" prices. Which obviously is not going to work. And yet a they are surprised when the £50 jack (or whatever) is flimsy. Or why a good one is £2-300+

• Thanks 2

I've been using this Draper 2 tonne low profile jack for a couple of years:

https://www.drapertools.com/product/61829/Professional-Garage-Trolley-Jacks-(2-Tonne)

It's great, low enough to get under the GT6 chassis, with enough lift to get the cars up high on axle stands for decent access.

A word of caution if I may... You mention jacking up a car then lowering its wheels onto ramps. Our cars' suspension goes through considerable changes in camber moving from normally loaded position to full drop (not just the swing axle Heralds and derivatives). As the camber changes, the effective track or distance between the wheels changes. Lowering a car with suspension on full drop onto a pair of ramps may push the tops of the ramps outwards as the suspension compresses, risking them them toppling over. Our cars have good chassis members and personally, I would feel much safer placing axle stands under the chassis.

Nigel

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 04/04/2021 at 13:41, Paul H said:

The pit has a 4 ins wide recessed ledge . Filled in with 2ins planks , works well

FDC6448C-D934-4B61-8B53-050241A2EDDE.thumb.jpeg.3e0d0297247708cd4087b3a5491cf8c2.jpeg

Paul 

Am I right is thinking that is one of the "sitting down" ones. I note someone is advertising along those lines in the Classic press?.

Pete

4 minutes ago, PeteH said:

Am I right is thinking that is one of the "sitting down" ones. I note someone is advertising along those lines in the Classic press?.

Pete

Yes it’s a fibre glass insert with a sliding seat and a sliding rack for tools . It’s approx 2/3 height . It’s a mech mate , www.mech-mate.co.uk.

it’s a great bit of kit , if you need more detailed info let me know 

Paul 

Bfg, “Carrying  it “ is clearly the important factor, here.

Over the years,  I’ve  acquired several jacks and a pair of hydraulic ramps which  I would certainly avoid lugging  around - so no point in mentioning those further.

For what you describe ,I would be turning to my little 2 ton Halfords trolley jack ( bought new in 1982!  ) or my “new“  lighter, low profile, 2 ton trolley  hack which has a ‘swivel action” connection to the pump which is handy in confined spaces ( Halfords again).These are really usefulthings  for very light vehicles like Spitfires. Also a six ton bottle jack they can  be very useful - a good quality one is fairly cheap.

Now whether these would give sufficient lift,  in one “go” , to put a ramp under a wheel,I ‘m not sure.

I think I probably would have to do it “in stages”,  using an axle stand(s)

Here are the jacks fully extended to give some idea.

In terms of weight, both can be carried one handed, the blue,  older one is heavier.

376B90C4-5670-45A5-808A-B5A6E5C4E889.jpeg

• Thanks 1

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1980s-2000kg-Weber-Floor-Trolley-Jack-Heavy-another-old-heavy-one-see-Descrip/124664800247?hash=item1d0699e3f7:g:qP0AAOSwo0pgZ6kc

Hi Pete, this is the same jack that i own, might be to far away from you? It is a bargain. I know folk say don't by secondhand but you can still get the parts should anything go wrong, It is easy enough to lift into a car boot, but wouldn't like to carry it far :) 

Tony.

3 hours ago, poppyman said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1980s-2000kg-Weber-Floor-Trolley-Jack-Heavy-another-old-heavy-one-see-Descrip/124664800247?hash=item1d0699e3f7:g:qP0AAOSwo0pgZ6kc

Hi Pete, this is the same jack that i own, might be to far away from you? It is a bargain. I know folk say don't by secondhand but you can still get the parts should anything go wrong, It is easy enough to lift into a car boot, but wouldn't like to carry it far :) 

Tony.

Tony - That looks just like the 'Master Mechanic' jack that I got 30 years ago and is still giving great service with no problems.

33 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

Tony - That looks just like the 'Master Mechanic' jack that I got 30 years ago and is still giving great service with no problems.

I could well be BW, it's exactly the same as mine a genuine Webber.

Tony.