Jack or Jill .. Low-Profile .. High-Lift .. Trolley

Bfg

Lifting devices, When tested, are usually taken to 1+times the max allowed working value. And held for a specific period. the actual times/values are dependant on the parameters set down by the test house or statutary documentation.

eg; I used to hydraulic test pressure vessels, Most often, Steam Traction or Railway Engines, 1.5 times SWP for 30min without loss of pressure.

Pete

23 minutes ago, poppyman said:

If i had a jack rated at 50 tons, i wouldn't go under my car without stands. Pressure testing is done for safety, i once saw a video of an engine boiler blowing up..... Terrible.

Tony.

Neither do I, I always use axle stands too. I don`t go (didn`t) under 2 and 4 Post lifts either unless the lock`s where checked as being in place!. I`ve wittnessed some horrors in a 20year career, The aftermath of a Boiler Explosion at Bracknell in the 80`s, when 2 guys literally vanished was one.

Pete

• Sad 1

Decision made..,  for better or for worse I've gone to CJ Autos and bought their 3T low entry, high lift trolley jack. . .

585111021_CJAutosTrolleyJack.thumb.jpg.b13c560ec48b56ffe24fdf31eac1732b.jpg

^ I recon CJ Auto are probably as sound a business to buy off as any other, insomuch as they actually give an address, a map and a telephone number to contact them on. And they seem to prosper on their innovative products and reputation.  I'm tired of cyber-world nationals that hide away from direct customer contact.

Anywas up., as you can see the spec is pretty close to what I was looking for ..

Description - Low profile trolley jack

This heavy duty yet low profile garage jack has been developed for users who give high priority to quality and durability. Designed to withstand demanding use in garages and workshops. A must for the home mechanic and serious enthusiast alike. Dual pump pistons for fast lifting action. Bumper pad on the handle to protect the vehicle. Two rear casters that pivot 360 degree for easy maneuverability.

• 3 Ton low profile trolley jack with double pump action to raise quickly.
  • Lifting Range: 2-7/8" to 19-3/4" (75mm - 500mm)
  • Saddle Diameter: 4.6" (116mm)
  • Handle Length: 45.5" approx.
  • Comes equipped with overload protection safety valve and over pumping prevention by-pass system. This item offers excellent stability. Universal joint release for precision control of load descent in any handle position. Heavy Duty all-welded steel construction.
  • Min. H:   75mm
  • Max.H: 505mm
  • weight: 33kg

Please note the saddle / dish is not removable.

And at £108 including delivery, that's as competitive a price as I could find for a low profile high lift model. 

Visually, aside from it having no brand-name stickers, it is looks just like the 2T Draper 61829.  And in all but the lifting capacity its dimensional specs are likewise very much the same.  I tend to think of Draper Tools as being mid-budget but also pretty decent quality and reliable, so if the one I've bought is badge-engineered for half the brand-name's price - then I really don't mind. 

We will see if I have "chosen wisely".

Pete.