Vitesse Front Static Seatbelts

Martyn, I dont know if your old set were original standard fitment as they arent the same as the usual ones Ive seen - black enamelled buckles with a Triumph logo on a central push button. Of course Triumph probably used different types at various times or the supplying dealership might even have fitted their own so are you flexible on the design youre after?

Approx £180 all in; that was my choice of silver-grey webbing and chromed brackets - I could have gone for a range of colours and textures plus zinc plated or stainless brackets so the price can vary quite a bit.

The silver grey webbing is 'silver grey pebble weave'.

https://www.quickfitsbs.com/components_colours.php

2 hours ago, johny said:

Not sure about that as surely you could specify seat belts before they came compulsory? Mine is pre-69 and the seat belt buckles have Triumph logos on them plus, what look like, factory fitted mountings... 

doesn't mean the owner in 69 didn't get them from the dealer, they were not factory fit until very late 60s early 70s. In 65 cars had to have 2 floor mounts each side fitted but did not have to have belts fitted, then in about 69 all cars with the mount points had to be retro-fitted. You could specify but they were a dealer fit of course the dealer may or may not have fitted stanpart belts but at the end of the day they were just generic belts with a sticker anyway. Mine are Britax excelsior as sold by triumph dealers I have simply put repro triumph stickers on so now the same as the stanpart ones

31 minutes ago, DanMi said:

doesn't mean the owner in 69 didn't get them from the dealer, they were not factory fit until very late 60s early 70s. In 65 cars had to have 2 floor mounts each side fitted but did not have to have belts fitted, then in about 69 all cars with the mount points had to be retro-fitted. You could specify but they were a dealer fit of course the dealer may have fitted stanpart belts but at the end of the day they were just generic belts with a sticker anyway. Mine are Britax excelsior as sold by triumph dealers I have simply put repro triumph stickers on.

Ha, sounds a right cock up. I wonder why they instructed that all vehicles must have the mounting points but not the actual belts! Could they have been just an option for any buyer of a new vehicle who wanted them prior to the law making them compulsory later.... 

1 minute ago, johny said:

Ha, sounds a right cock up. I wonder why they instructed that all vehicles must have the mounting points but not the actual belts! Could they have been just an option for any buyer of a new vehicle who wanted them prior to the law making them compulsory later.... 

guess they were just slowly getting the idea out there and why just 2 floor mounts not the 3 that is really required. I have no idea and can only relate what happened though I don't get the logic but then I have grown up with seatbelts

I don't know if vitesse or herald had the b post mounts from the factory, spitfires certainly did not have the mount in the wheel arch and it was not a legal requirement. There was a huge industry built up retro-fitting belts Quickfitsbs being the remnant of that era. The black enamelled belts with the push button that you mentioned earlier are Britax Excelsior though they were branded with various manufacturers eg triumph jaguar etc. When I had mine rewebbed quickfit said that they were definitely later than my 66 car

• Like 1

my 64 Vitesse Saloon had tunnel-chassis / lower B post and  B waist side rail anchor points in place by body number it appeared from an original era   a convertible complicates what was original due to the hood partion  hence the use of the reinforced rear wheel arch idea 

well something like that  

Pete

Seat Belts:-

Legal requirement to have Front anchorage points 1965. from 1967 belts required to be fitted. Prior to 1965 it was a manufacturer "option" but without legal enforcement. Compulsory wearing introduced 1983.

Taxi drivers, and Drivers of vehicles on multidrop within 50 miles of "base" are exempt. As  well as Police, Medivac and Fire and Rescue. Although all are "advised".

Pete.

17 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Advised that in the case of a collision they won't get compensation for injuries sustained if they were not wearing seatbelts.

Believe it or not, some trucks i`ve actually driven where NOT fitted with Seat belts as late as the 2000`s. Not a legal requirement!!. The American R-V I self imported in 1997, had no belts. The "Ministry" checked the size (width) and Lights but never queried the lack of Belts!. The MOT tester , just shrugged and passed the vehicle as roadworthy. This was before I could register it, and get plates.