Petrol tank again !!!!

Woody2000

Hi have got my car running after many many years of not working have problems with the petrol supply took the tank out used Bilt Harmer tank kit cleaned it reinstalled it and kept blocking from the tank have taken it out again put some petrol in it shook it and more what looks like dried fuel came out  black bits that crumble in your fingers 

Now I’m not sure whether to try it again and see what happens ???  or jet wash the inside  as best as I can ???

Driving me round the bend as not sure when it’s gonna happen again middle of a country road or on the duel carriage way !!!!!!!!

thanks Mark 

I used the Frosts kit which adds a resin skin to the tank filling any perforations . These kits are like marmite . In my case following the instructions to the letter the kit has worked . I even had enough to complete a refurb spare tank I had acquired 

Paul

Detergents and degreasers unlikley to shift that lot!

I would say the standard advice as for an enema, High, Hot and a Hell of a lot!

A pressure washer into the filler  tube, when the tank is upside down might was most of it out.

John

3 minutes ago, Woody2000 said:

I’ll try tomorrow suppose you leave the tablets and boiling water in there for a few hours then jet wash it ??

how many tablets do you put in ??  Thanks Peter 

Hard to say in a 10Gall? tank. you could try 3 of 4. lots of boiling water and agitate. It certainly "moved" the crud in the Clutch Master Cyl; in my most recent usage. And that was baked on! to the point petrol would not shift it!.

I think I`m lucky, The 13/60 fuel tank looks reasonably New and sound!.

Pete

Impressively crusty!😮

Caustic soda (sodium hydroxide) available as powder for drain cleaning is very effective against fossilised hydrocarbons but won’t eat the steel tank. It might eat solder/braze and definitely will eat aluminium though. It’s what I used to clean my PI saloon tank and GT6 tank.

Nick

3 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

Impressively crusty!😮

Caustic soda (sodium hydroxide) available as powder for drain cleaning is very effective against fossilised hydrocarbons but won’t eat the steel tank. It might eat solder/braze and definitely will eat aluminium though. It’s what I used to clean my PI saloon tank and GT6 tank.

Nick

Safety warning: caustic soda is highly corrosive to human tissue. If you try using it, wear goggles and chemical resistant gloves or better still gauntlets. Any splashes must be washed immediately with lots of water. If it gets in your eyes, irrigate with lots of water and go straight to A&E.

Nigel