Tank to petrol line rubber hose

Andrew

think on earlier post that the dip tube is 1/4"   but im sure the Herald is 1/4 all the way 

do check the reserve lever dip tube sleeve nut is lightly nipped up it is  just a pipe nut and olive ,

some have a rubber olive   easy to make from a small slice of fuel hose 

but to remove the tube im afraid its tank out, hopefully all is well here and thats not a need

Pete

18 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

but im sure the Herald is 1/4 all the way

I hope not. I replaced mine (`71- 13/60) with 8?mm copper. It apeared to be the nearest to the existing Corroded steel pipe which was removed.

Pete

As long as it fits and seals at the end, no problem. A replacement for the rubber seal / grommet, if you need one, is to put petrol-resistant rubber sealant around the pipe at the point the rubber grommet would rest at; then you can either shape it when soft or wait till it hardens and then smooth to shape. When the pipe is replaced and tightened it should conform to the contours and grip the pipe in the same way as the original seal would.

well there is two pipe sizes not always model defined  its measure and check  either 1/4" or 5/16"  

metric wasnt invented back then and who know whats been fitted in rebuilds over the years 

my 64 Vit6 was 5/16 all the way but some say that was wrong  !!!

the main thing  is  if you reduce the number of connections it  improves the reliability , less chance of leaks 

plastic all the way has these advantages 

Pete

Hi all found out that the standard pipe width in the tank is 5/16 which was standard on all Heralds. Then the rest of the pipe work is 1/4 work that one out. Have you ever tried getting 1/4 rubber tube on a 5/16 pipe. Not easy 

Andrew

8 hours ago, Andrew said:

Have you ever tried getting 1/4 rubber tube on a 5/16 pipe. Not easy

Tell me about it! I've got 1/4" coming out the tank and 5/16" from the rear wheel arch onwards. :blink:  Why did they do this?!!! 

I boiled the 1/4" rubber joint and covered it in copious amounts of olive oil. Delicious! :lol:

Doug

Was it possible? that the Vittesse has/had larger pipework working on the theory that it`s fuel demand would be greater. And over the year(s) some of that has become "Shared" with the Smaller Engines.? Eg; Are "new" (repro) Tanks made "One size fits all". ?

Pete

18 minutes ago, PeteH said:

Was it possible? that the Vittesse has/had larger pipework working on the theory that it`s fuel demand would be greater

Yes I think that's right, GT6 also has larger pipes, but sticking to the plan started to deteriorate in the factory. Which is why my GT6 has 1/4" tank and 5/6" pipework, it was more a question of "Hmm, what have we got in the stores?" "Shifting the parts" resulted in the GT6 February '73 upgrade with only 6/7 months of production left. Or am I being cynical? :lol:  But, more importantly does 1/4" into 5/16" cause a problem? Well, no.

Doug