Electrical boffins required!

chrisbladen

Just what I was about to say, Pete - before dismantling the switch give it a good dousing with Servisol Super 10 or the like, whilst working the switch round or in and out repeatedly. It might just clean up the internal contacts without needing to repair it to destruction... :)

• Like 1

Well I got the switches (I have 2 because one had the post break off on disassembly) out and tried as mentioned above and and I could not get any continuity between any of the positions. I am using the positions in the  diagram Graham posted, not the colored one Doug posted. For clarity "3" is the only connection that I would call "female". I got no or intermittent readings on the multimeter.

So I attached a 9 volt battery: negative on the negative of the multimeter and positive with alligator clips to the connector 3 and I put the plus from the multimeter on positIons 2 And  4 I get a reading of nearly 9 volts in the respective positions.

All very strange... I am not too terribly sure I have working switches or not...

1 hour ago, DVD3500 said:

Well I got the switches (I have 2 because one had the post break off on disassembly) out and tried as mentioned above and and I could not get any continuity between any of the positions. I am using the positions in the  diagram Graham posted, not the colored one Doug posted. For clarity "3" is the only connection that I would call "female". I got no or intermittent readings on the multimeter.

So I attached a 9 volt battery: negative on the negative of the multimeter and positive with alligator clips to the connector 3 and I put the plus from the multimeter on positIons 2 And  4 I get a reading of nearly 9 volts in the respective positions.

All very strange... I am not too terribly sure I have working switches or not...

Sounds like you may be having a similar issue to me.

My thoughts am to confirm it isnt a wiring issue first, (which it seems you may have if your switch is operating with a battery) So i am going to wire direct to the motor from a switch, 1 wire fed from live, 1 to ground and then the 3 other cables from the switch. Its handy that the motor is so close to the switch on the dash.

Il report back how this goes. Obviously if it operates then i know my wiring is faulty somewhere on the harness.

Well thats the theory anyway 🤔

Servisol may be a lighter gentler fluid, more for electronic use than automotive. Penetrating fluid will work just as well, anything that removes odixation and washes it away should be fine; I just happen to have Servisol sitting about for the electronic equipment so have got used to it for garage use too. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Servisol-Super-10-Switch-Cleaner-Lubricant-Contact-Cleaner-Mixing-Desk-Studio-PA/202820097766?epid=1804702344&hash=item2f390516e6:g:8ccAAOSwJ4hY9ehG

I soaked the switches over night in "contact spray" used on distributors and everything looks shiny.

I did a quick test and I am getting a reading on the multiometer when set to 200 ohms. (if I am reading it right). The readings on the two settings are different, that I assume is normal...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DVD3500 said:

I soaked the switches over night in "contact spray" used on distributors and everything looks shiny.

I did a quick test and I am getting a reading on the multiometer when set to 200 ohms. (if I am reading it right). The readings on the two settings are different, that I assume is normal...

Sounds positive. Did u spray the whole switch with the spray or just the connections?

I have used servisol switch cleaner for numerous things. It's very good stuff. Used it to clean and lube the guts of my old open reel tape machine which was all over the place with tape speed. Worked great. Wonderful all purpose cleaner and lubricator.

I sprayed it every where I could find a hole... held it in all different positions and rotated it occasionally on the workbench....

I followed up with Ballistol as a lubricant... Servisol is not available here and because of Brexit most aersols are being stopped at customs for some strange reason...