Handbrake Gaiter

Matthew

Hi 

From a distant memory, I think the gaiter is usually stapled to a piece of black card slightly curved to follow the tunnel and I think screwed on each corner to the floor. The gaiter then pops through the hole in the carpet.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mark B said:

Hi 

From a distant memory, I think the gaiter is usually stapled to a piece of black card slightly curved to follow the tunnel and I think screwed on each corner to the floor. The gaiter then pops through the hole in the carpet.

That's correct; the gaiter in the photo isn't being stretched far enough downwards as it's not attached to the cardboard base. You can make a base quite easily, but it has to be flexible enough to mould to the centre tunnel where four screws hold it down (Herald and Vitesse, anyway).

In a moment of rare financial surplus I went for one of these stitched leather versions for the Herald (not fitted yet...) but they have a small base already stitched in

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RED-STITCH-LEATHER-HANDBRAKE-PLASTIC-FRAME-FITS-TRIUMPH-HERALD-VITESSE/352745719389?hash=item522148865d:g:IwYAAOSwxBldSXzu

Got bad news for you Matthew as I think youve just ordered the same rubber gaiter which doesnt come with the cardboard base plate☹️ Part number 705789 appears to be just the gaiter and you have to fix it to your existing base or make one out of thick cardboard.

You could do this with the gaiter you already have and then remove the carpet (which may require the seats be taken out). Once the floor is exposed the gaiter and cardboard slides over the handbrake lever, the cardboard has to be curved slightly and fixed to the floor with 4 self tappers before the carpet goes back...

• Thanks 1