Fan Belt Length

Peaks

What size fan bet do people use on a Vitesse with an alternator fitted? I've currently got a 1075 but that takes the alternator fan uncomfortably close to the top radiator hose. I'm not sure if a 1050 will be short enough to move the alternator out of the way, or whether a 1025 would be better. 

I'm sure I used a 1088 and the belt misses the top hose. I do have a non standard alternator arm. I did try smaller sizes but they didn't work. 

I have a Brise 5SIACR alternator and can't remember if the pulley centre to mounting dimension is different to a 'Lucas' which would affect the fan length. 

Iain 

Can you work it out in reverse ie remove the current belt, put the alternator where you want it, and measure the length with string? Then just buy the length of belt that corresponds to the length of string. I've done that in the past with GT6 alternator conversions and modified brackets.

• Like 1

Colin has it. Maybe go slightly smaller. My 2500s has a 1088 belt for the water pump and alt. In the spares box that came with it is a 1092 and that is too long! A slightly shorter belt would give me more adjustments but at the risk of failure when it has stretched too far.